Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Warm Hands

Cold heart.

(BTW "Tight box." is the usual rejoinder between my friends and I.)

I needed a break from the never ending 2x2 rib scarf of doom and despair that I've been knitting, and really wanted a quick little fill-in project. I also wanted to knit something from one of the Japanese knitting books I've been collecting recently.

Japanese Fingerless Gloves

So I decided to use up the extra skein of Jo Sharp "Silkroad Aran Tweed" that I had left in my stash from the beanie that I knit last year, and make a pair of cunning little easy peasy fingerless gloves. Just perfect for cigar smoking, should I ever decide to take it up!

Japanese Fingerless Gloves

They were quick and easy, just two rows of knit and two rows of purl to give stretchy horizontal ridges. A simple turn sideways and some seaming that leaves a hole for the thumb and voila! (Or whatever the Japanese equivalent of voila! is.) Of course it's summer here at present, but come the cooler months I will be prepared!

15 comments:

Thombeau said...

"Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar."

The Other Andrew said...

And sometimes it's a phallic symbol.

Michael said...

Oh, yes, those will come in handy when the weather takes a nasty turn to BALMY.

PS Want.

The Other Andrew said...

I know, right? It might get to temperate one of these days, and then boy oh boy will I be glad of them!

Anonymous said...

Yes, they're very useful but I'd always worry about looking like Wilfred Brambell in Steptoe & Son, who was never seen without a pair.

(As an aside, he's another of the Fags of Our Fathers.)

The Other Andrew said...

Ha ha! Yes, I can see how it could go down the direction of Steptoe & Son!... I did not know he was a FOOF! There you go.

PS: Not one comment yet about those rockin' hairy forearms?! I mean, can it get any more YANG people?

Ur-spo said...

I have never seen gloves like these before; were they once upon in vogue or are the 'new'?

Michael said...

I can't see the hair because my monitor doesn't resolve the white scale to the level of your forearms. But I'm sure you're as hirsute as all hell!

Anonymous said...

My family usually follows up 'cold hands, warm heart' with 'red hat, no drawers'.

The Other Andrew said...

Michael, FYI that's TANNED dude. Srsly.

Sarah, your family version is certainly a bit cleaner. But I like "Cold hands. Warm heart. Tight box." myself. Call me old fashioned. And dirty.

The Other Andrew said...

ur-spo, I think these sorts of fingerless gloves have been around for a while. They are so simple, just a tube with a side opening, that I'd be surprised if someone hasn't come up with the idea previously. I think they're very Vogue.

Thombeau said...

Hairy forearms? I thought that was Silkroad Aran Tweed.

Anonymous said...

You need to knit a smoking jacket to go with the gloves.

Michael Guy said...

So the hole is, like, for a thumb, you say?!

::always seek form/function ::

The Other Andrew said...

Hey MG, you just gave an idea to try something...