Wednesday, January 02, 2008

The "Chrissie Pissie" 2007

As I described last year, the Chrissie Pissie is an annual event where our extended group of friends (more like family really) get together to eat, laugh, celebrate, catch up with each other's lives (if we haven't seen each other for a while), drink and exchange anonymous $15 crap/fabulous gifts. It's tradition. It's fabulous. It's something I wouldn't miss for the world. Over the past 3 or so years a number of my friends have had children, so the presence of little ones underfoot may have meant less late evening drunkenness, but it has add a wonderful new dimension.

(For some reason the photos in last year's blog entry won't display on my screen, if that's the same with you then the photos from last year can be seen in this Flickr set.)



(Not So) Surly Santa The Chrissie Pissie Crowd 2007
In Gordy's absence, Keith steps in as (Not So) Surly Santa (L), the assembled throng (R)

Blue Christmas Hams
Louise's beautiful garden (L), and some Christmas hams (R)

Midsummer Night's Dream Illuminated
A midsummer's night dream

Nummy Sign O' The Times
My food contribution, Flourless Orange Cupcakes from the "Crabapple Cupcake Bakery" cookbook - complete with orange icing that was melting in the tropical heat (L), nummy soused pineapple - with disclaimer (R)

16 comments:

Cecilia said...

I bow down to you and your cup-cake baking skills!

The Other Andrew said...

Ha ha! Thanks.

They were uber moist. That cupcake cookbook rocks my world.

Cecilia said...

They look so fluffy! The only flourless things I've remembered eating have been incredibly dense flourless chocolate cake. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but I'm impressed with how light the cup cakes look.

worldpeace and a speedboat said...

they tasted great, too. I don't know how many The Delightful Nanna managed to put away :-)

worldpeace and a speedboat said...

oh btw check your email, TOA, when you have the chance...

Charles said...

Hey~~~

I hope your having a great time on your NEW YEARS day!
Hope eveythings goes will and big luck wish your best~~

Also visit my blog...I made a post about preview of new knitting book 2008!

love,
Charles

The Other Andrew said...

Charles, I left a comment on your blog. Great blog entry! I'm going to have to get some of those books.

Michael Guy said...

I recall last year's fabulosity!

I think this may be a custom worth stealing as I create new traditions here in my neck of the woods.

But what was the tackiest gift, Andrew?

The Other Andrew said...

I loved mine:
1) A 'Holy Toast!' stamping implement to imprint the image of Our Lord on any regular slice of bread, which then can be toasted and consumed (or ebay'd)
2) Jesus bandaids, for when you need extra healing power.

Much hilarity ensued. Especially when I discovered there was a tiny plastic Jesus in the bandaids tin and exclaimed "Look, I've found Jesus!". Nyuk nyuk.

freakgirl said...

Gorge cupcakes. Perhaps I should pick up that book!

freakgirl said...

Also, I have those Jesus bandaids.

Michael Guy said...

I've seen that "HOLY TOAST" thang here at 'Urban Outfitters' and fingered it excitedly as a stocking-stuffer notion for a co-worker.

But I decided on the 'cat butt-hole' coaster set instead...

Good times. Good times.

The Other Andrew said...

I would love to have been inside your head MG as you did the Cat But Hole or Jesus? discussion!

FG, thanks! They were very moist, dense and nummy but not heavy. I was keen to try it and the idea of boiling 3 unpeeled oranges for an hour or so, and then pureeing the whole lot sounded just too much fun to resist! It's a great cookbook, I haven't had a failure so far. (BTW - It's all in metric, but I'm sure you can cope.)

freakgirl said...

America rejects metric.

The Other Andrew said...

Luddites.

jason said...

Now if only they could come out with a cat's butt hole stamp for toast.

I'd buy that.

Some friends of mine and I have a similar tradition, a white elephant party, in which there is permissible "stealing" of gifts.
It used to be more fun...
but the white elephant oligarchy currently in power mandates a strict "no gag gifts PLEASE" policy now...after the double dildo episode a few years back.

Fascists.