Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Turkey Day 2006

Here are the pics I promised from the Thanksgiving eatfest on Saturday, "Turkey Day 2006". I used to be quite hesitant about photographing people, shy about taking their pictures. This year I decided to break through that hesitancy and to focus on what makes gatherings like this so great, the extended circle of my friends and their kids.

AJIsobel

One of the joys of always having my camera with me is that every now and then the conditions are just beautiful for photography. Saturday was one of those times. Hot and overcast, casting a softer light on everyone and without stark shadows. The bushfires around Sydney had put lots of smoke into the air, which is a terrible, terrible thing, but perfect from the aspect of creating a soft golden sunset.

Sardonic, Moi?

1.5 Carat Smile

The dynamic of photographing friends is easier too I guess. I had my camera out all day, snapping away like a mad thing, which serves to desensitize people to the presence of the camera. Being able to display the photo on the camera and show people just how good they look (glory be for digital!) helps put people at ease a bit too.

Don't Ask

Alcohol, food and a bunch of laughs also puts people at ease. There was lots of all three.

The Consolations Of Friendship

The Further Consolations Of Friendship

I've only posted my absolute favourites so far on Flickr. They might not even be the best pics I took artistically, but I love them for the moments and the personalities that they capture.

ElegantDaen

It's great to have records of these goods times. Already I look back on photos from events just 6 months ago and see the new children that have arrived, the rapid growth of others, the relationships that have come and gone, and the laughs and the good times shared.

Mmmm... Corn.

Mmmm... Tender Morsel.

The hosts of Turkey Day are heading back to the U.S. in January, so it's a bit bitter sweet to think that this may be the last Turkey Day. Certainly not the last party by any stretch of the imagination, but Turkey Day has a unique magic that will be hard to recapture.

18 comments:

Destructomeg said...

Absolutely-and-then-some gorgeous pics.

The Other Andrew said...

Thank you kind lady! Look how pretty your hair was! So elegant.

Mikey (TLE) said...

Who's the guy in the red t-shirt?

The Other Andrew said...

You're a classic, aren't you? No "nice photo", no "nice post"...

Nick. His name is Nick.

Ur-spo said...

great photos, as usual!

The Other Andrew said...

Thanks!

spyder said...

Beautiful shot of AJ- thanks so much!

Cozalcoatl said...

Its good to be a golddigger...;)
Look how happy I am

M-H said...

Just to prove how small Sydney is, not only do you know my friend Kris (from whose blog I found you), but you eat turkey with Karinne. I used to work with Karinne. :)

The Other Andrew said...

Gabrielle, that was the best one of AJ but there's another nice one. I'll put all my AJ pics on a CD for you!

Coz, exactly. I got me a diamond AND a Green Card!

M-H, that's too funny that you also know Miss Krin! Wow, really is a small world.

Mikey (TLE) said...

By the way, great photos ;-) especially of AJ who is looking a lot like his parents

The Other Andrew said...

Mikey, AJ looks like such a little guy in that pic, captures his slightly 'rough and tumble' edge I thought. Plus the light in his hair is gorgeous. It was one of those pics you look at afterwards and think alriiiight!!

anti ob said...

Not that we're surprised or anything, but thats a truly lovely set of shots. I particularly like the shot of Coz, but its just possible I'm biased...

worldpeace and a speedboat said...

yeah, seconding everyone - the pics are really fab. they capture everyone 'just so' - even Fz! even though it sticks in one's craw to say something nice about Fz... heh. the photie of AJ especially stands out for me. beautiful lighting and fortuitous shooting to get any child in that sort of shot.

btw TOA that's Dr Nik to you. like Dr Bob and Dr Two-Eyed Pete :-)

The Other Andrew said...

Doctor schmoctor. Will he take a look at my bad back? Help me with my chillblains?

Calls himself a doctor?...

:P

The Other Andrew said...

Speedy, Anti-Ob, thanks for the compliments guys. These were my favourites, but there's some other nice ones there that I haven't posted. I'll burn some copies - plus Rob, make sure I give you copies before you head off to the U.S., m'kay? ::sniff::

Destructomeg said...

heh you don't have to say anything nice about Fzt, just that the pic captures him extrodinarily well ;)

worldpeace and a speedboat said...

true, megzie, very true ;-)