Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Community

One of the big highlights of 2007 for me was not just rediscovering the art and craft of knitting, but discovering the thriving knitting community that is out there. Knitting blogs, knitting community websites, free pattern sharing, stitch 'n' bitch style groups... Seriously, if you thought knitting was a solitary act, then think again:

Sydney Sity Klickers

Sydney Sity Klickers

Check us out! This was the end of year get together for one of the groups I knit with, the Sydney Sity Klickers. What you don't get from the photos is the din of conversation and laughter, not to mention the clack of the needles. Barmuda cafe have been very kind to us, generously coping with us growing to such a big group, and in return we order enough of their yummy drinks and food to warrant the welcome. (Sometimes we even give knitting to tips to interested fellow diners.) I also knit with a pub group every sunday in an outdoor beer garden, and although our numbers fluctuate from 3 to 14 at times we always have a good time.

I'm in awe of the technical skill of everyone in both of the groups I knit with, the work that people bring along is amazing! I feel very I'm inspired by both groups, by the skill and creativity, and I really enjoy the sense of fun and friendship.

Solitary? Eh, not so much.

7 comments:

Mel said...

Took me a second to spot M-H in there, sitting in a shadowy spot. Bex's flaming magenta stands out anywhere, though. Looks like my idea of a grand time.

Hope you have a wonderful new year!

The Other Andrew said...

Mel, we do indeed have a grand time!

Hope you have a wonderful new year!

Thanks my friend, and the very same to you and yours!

mrpeenee said...

I want some. Seriously, how do you learn to knit?

The Other Andrew said...

Peen, it's not rocket science baby. I kid! Send airfare and I'll come and sit on your lap and teach you.

The Other Andrew said...

..or failing that, go to your local yarn store (your in SF right?) and ask them if there is a stitch n bitch group nearby. Get some basic supplies (needles, yarn) and then go along and act helpless. They'll be powerless to resist!

PS. the big secret, just between you and me, aside from all the fabulous interesting women you'll meet, the knitting community is full of nice gay boys too! Shocking, right?

Anonymous said...

Gay grrls too, TOA! :) Hi Mel. Wish you could join us. Just a looong plane ride away. Half-way round the world.

Andrew, you have been a great addition to SSK. It's always good to see your face popping up, and you tke such great photos.

mrpeenee said...

I'm sending you my lap, do with it as you will. I'm off to practice acting helpless.