Saturday, August 06, 2005

The Chinese Garden of Friendship: Part I

As I promised earlier in the week, here are a bunch of pics from my visit to the Chinese Garden of Friendship with Bodhi and his daughter Ashley, last Sunday. I've posted the pics in roughly the same order as you'd come across them if you walked around the gardens. This map gives you some idea of the scale of things.


Black bamboo. Darling Harbour, July 2005.

I fell in love with the black bamboo that was throughout the gardens. In some places it formed thickets which met overhead, almost blocking out the light.


Bodhi (R) & Ashley (L) inside the Round Pavilion. Darling Harbour, July 2005.

My two co-conspiritors on the visit to the gardens, Bodhi (who I met through this blog) and his daughter Ashley, aka The Kid. I really like this pic of the two of them, and I like the dappled morning light coming through the bamboo grove around the pavilion.


The Twin Pavilion, looking across the Lake of Brightness. Darling Harbour, July 2005.

This pic only hints at the large size of the garden, but it does also give you an idea how close the city buildings are. The garden has been cleverly constructed though so that most of the time you can't really see much in the way of buildings, and the various waterfalls go a long way towards masking the sounds of Sydney in the background.


Bridge between the Lake of Brightness and the Lotus Pond. Darling Harbour, July 2005.


Moon Gate alongside the Reading Brook Pavilion. Darling Harbour, July 2005.

9 comments:

Michael said...

I am enjoying your skillz with the camera, Andy. My favorite from all these is the bridge. All the angles and the reflections and the shadows. Love it.

The park looks incredible.

The Other Andrew said...

Thanks Michael! The bridge is really striking isn't it?

The park is wonderful. It opened toward the end of the 80's, and the best thing is that by now all the trees are really mature. It's a lovely place to spend a few hours.

worldpeace and a speedboat said...

yes, agreed, really lovely photos my deah...

especially the one of Ashley. she looks really lovely. the beautiful incidental lighting in the pavilion makes her glow. I'm sure as an easily embarrassed teenager she won't appreciate it for about 20 years ;)

but make sure you give her a copy anyway...

mesquirt said...

Hey Andrew, I agree, some really lovely photos there. Just one thing, do I detct that you are perhaps just a little camera shy? Where are the piccies of you? Hope you're having a great weekend, Mart

The Other Andrew said...

Thanks for the compliments guys. Ashley reads this blog, so I won't embarass her too much, but yes she is a lovely young woman and a smart cookie. (Hi Ashley!)

Mart, there's a link to the one solitary single pic of me on this blog, at the top of the sidebar on the left. I really dislike having my photo taken, but this photo was taken in a pub about 2 years ago now (I cropped out the HUGE glass of beer which looms large in the original photo) and for once I'm not pulling my pained 'photo face'... because I didn't know it was being taken at the time!

Anonymous said...

Worldpeace and a speedboat -"Easily embarrassed teenager"?, methinks not. With my good self as a father, and the imminately immature and funny bunny Rabbit as a good friend, The Kid would be in BIG trouble if she embarrassed easily. I think she is probably a Zen Master of non-embarrasment.

She loves the pics Andrew, I spoke to her this morning and she has already quickly checked them out.

Marty - I heartily agree with you. Both Ashley and myself kept offering to take a picture of our beloved TOA, but he kept refusing. Can't say that we did not try ...

Bodhi :-)
Sydney, Australia

Michael said...

Lest you feel left out, just know that you look sun-dappled lovely as well, My name is, my name is, my name is Bodhi.

Anonymous said...

Awwwwww shucks, Thanks Michael ... flattery will probably get you everywhere ;-)

Bodhi :-)
Sydney, Australia

The Other Andrew said...

Yes it's true, given the company she keeps Ashley can certainly fend for herself! As Bodhi says, "If I haven't messed with your head by now, I've failed as a parent!"

I'm glad Ashley and Rabbit like the pics. I enjoyed taking them. One of the benefits of being the one behind the camera, is being the one behind the camera!

Bodhi, I have more pics of Ashley in costume which I'll email to you for her to have.