Tuesday, February 27, 2007

And The Award Goes To...

I confess to being an Oscars tragic. I look forward to it. I try and impose a media blackout so that it's 'fresh' and surprising when I watch it. I've even hosted Oscars parties in the past.

Maybe the tide is turning. Last night I didn't watch it.

It's like I feel like I'm going to have to hand back my membership card or something.

I was at night class at the Buddhist centre until 8.30 last night, and so it was a bit after 9 when I got home. I flicked it on, and now I admit I only watched snippetts of it while I threw some food together, but it seemed kinda... meh. At least the bits I saw were. So at 9.30 I flicked it over to Brothers & Sisters.

What is WRONG with me?

Those of you who watched it, what's the verdict? Good, bad or meh?

[Updated: I defy you to read Rich's recap and not pee yourself a little bit. That bitch is funny!]

9 comments:

Michael Guy said...

You didn't miss much sweetie. I mean...once I got beyond JENNIFER HUDSON's winning moment I seriously considered sorting laundry and/or pulling one off on the sly.

The Other Andrew said...

Wow, you must reall LOVE doing laundry... oh, wait. I see. :)

Anonymous said...

Would have planned a quiet night doing the same BUT found nits on one of the kids and then had to spend the whole night sorting that out. Everyone was slathered in conditioner and had their heads wrapped in gladwrap. We kinda looked like the new Britney Spears. Which is awful. I would much rather have been walking down a red carpet myself.

I wonder where one stands from a Buddhist perspective killing nits?

yani said...

I used to be La Tragic... with the exception of the Oscar parties thing, that whole first paragraph could have been me... but then a few years ago I just got over it... it goes too long, the stuff you want to win never wins, the hosts stopped being funny in about 2001 (when was it that Whoopi did it?), and it takes much less time and energy to just catch the results on the news earlier in the evening.

Michael said...

As it happens, I saw more of it than I ever have. Meh. I thought Ellen was low-key and charming (i.e. Ellen), but the entertainment was not entertaining. Aside from Ellen, the most entertaining thing was Jack Nicholson, and the Oscar telecast has rode that wagon until the wheels have fallen off, right?

And speaking of tragic: Pilobolus.

The Other Andrew said...

I had to Google Pilobolus, and oddly I found this. Ewww.

Michael said...

Not only the same name, but also a strikingly similar entertainment value.

Bodies as elaborate interlocking hand puppets...at best a one trick pony, that stayed for four tricks too long.


My favorite line of the night from Ellen:

Without blacks, gays and Jews, there would be no Oscars. And when you think about it, no people named Oscar.

The Other Andrew said...

Oh, right. I saw the Snakes On A Plane bit, and thought it was ok but not the funnest thing I've seen. I love Ellen, but the lure of Matthew Rhys won out in the end.

Mikey (TLE) said...

I thought it highly "meh. If anything can be "highly" meh... Mind you, I didn't make it home from work until 10pm... so I was not exactly "in the mood". Best dress: Cate Blanchett or Helen Mirren. Nice to see Marty Scorcese crack it for the big one. Pity it's not his best film. But the whole thing was strictly OK. It's amazing how many talented people with so much practice can still not get the Oscars telecast right.