Tuesday, January 03, 2006

To Do List

I don't traditionally make New Year's resolutions, but I had an interesting discussion with a friend on the way home from New Year's Eve dinner the other night that got me thinking. Like me she is a big procrastinator, and she has started to try and organise her life a little better by adding some structure. Setting times and days to do certain things, especially when it comes to things like housework and completing her studies.

We discussed the fact that our parents generation seemed better at putting some structure into their lives. Saturday mornings were for housework and laundry, for example. It made me think about how we might have reacted against this sort of structure, fearing rigidity maybe, and swung too far in the opposite direction. In the name of being carefree and spontaneous, we've encouraged an element of chaos and disorganisation.

So, I decided to make a To Do List for 2006. Some of it is about streamlining and organising, some of it is just things I plan to get done.

To Do List 2006
  • Clear out things I no longer use or wear, and give them away. If I haven't worn it in 12 months, or used it in a couple of years, it should go don't you think? (Exceptions made for aspirational 'thin end of the wardrobe' clothes.)
  • Plan times to do housework, gardening and my volunteer duties so that if I have a time crunch these aren't the first things to suffer.
  • Knuckle down on the studies.
  • Be more disciplined about my meditation practice.
  • If I can swing it financially, and get the time off work, attend the November course at Kopan Monastery in Nepal.
  • Upgrade my camera equipment.
  • The usual lose weight, blah-blah.
  • Go out more, ring old friends up more, I kind of developed a bit of a hermit streak in last 6 months of last year.
  • Keep updating my wardrobe, maybe by buying at least one new thing a month. I got out of the habit of buying clothes this past year, I mean, call myself a homo?
  • Debt clearance plan. Let's move on shall we?
  • Upgrade my home computer. I'm well behind the curve on hardware, just just the mention of 'hardware' makes my eyes glaze over.
  • Likewise ditch dail-up, they have this new 'broadband' thing apparently.
  • Buy a domain.
  • Learn that there is a world of html other than italic and bold tags. (BTW, I always use 'strong' tags for bold not because I think it's slick html but because I like the idea of turning the strong on and off, don't you?)

I'm planning on 2006 being a fun year. My new(ish) friend and frequent commentor Bodhi is moving in in a couple of weeks time as my flatmate ('roommate' for you Americans), which should up the social ante and also cut my living expenses quite significantly. We've already got plans for a house warming party for Bodes, so let the fun begin!

10 comments:

Cozalcoatl said...

I never make new years resolutions, cause i always break them.
Things i would like/hope/try to do in 2006 (least till the weekend)

*keep going to the gym (i've got the shadow of biceps)
*drink less (no really i mean it this time)
*Move to the US for a year or two. (which is in the pipeline, a sloow pipeline but its there)
Thats about it, ambitious of me huh?

worldpeace and a speedboat said...

totally agreed upon our generation's reaction against structure thing, TOA. I remember both my parents would work hard when I was a child, to have as much of all the house and garden work done during the week so their weekends could be free.

I admire them and I never really bothered to rebel, how dull is that?

structure is not bad. too much, or an inflexible structure, is.

I mean, hell, I can hardly talk in regards to career - what's a career? ;) but I like it when the house is tidy and the laundry is folded and put away. I love to be able to take pride in the garden (well, once it's green again).

and one day I really will get my craft and art evil empire going. just got to make space in the three-houses-worth-of-stuff house I have. no really!

The Other Andrew said...

Coz, biceps? Jealous! No fair.

Speedy, I have absolutely no doubt that you could have a craft/art empire. Your stuff is always gorgeous!

Bodhi said...

Be more disciplined about my meditation practice.

Well sweetness, I already have had a daily meditation practise for some years now, and I'm already thinking that it may be nice at times to have someone else to meditate with (if your up for it). I'm thinking I could just ask you nicely, but then again it would be great fun to pick up and wield, say, a big zendo stick ;-)

*Whack* 'Don't just sit there, do nothing!'

Keep updating my wardrobe, maybe by buying at least one new thing a month. I got out of the habit of buying clothes this past year, I mean, call myself a homo?

Oooh, can I come shopping with. Can I? Can I? Huh? Huh? Huh? Ple-EASE?? There is only one thing more fun than spending my money, and thats spending others money (ask Rabbit, I am very, read very, good at it). You know you want me to ...

which should up the social ante

Thats an understatement. I'm so gunna up your ante, you will need a proctologist to remove it ;-)

We've already got plans for a house warming party for Bodes, so let the fun begin!

Yaaaaaayy!!

Michael said...

I know I've been gone for a bit, but I thought surely you were planning on To Doing me. ::sigh::

The Other Andrew said...

Bodes, I don't even know where to begin... :-)

Michael, "been gone for a bit"? Err, excuse me but they call that 'abandoned' where I come from.

worldpeace and a speedboat said...

gorgeous? thank you! but ranks below or about the same (when I have a good day) as all the amazing stuff you Celis make. I spend most of my time looking on enviously at all of you making beautiful things together...

I must have household envy!

The Other Andrew said...

You sell yourself short Speedy. Your etchings and t-shirt designs are great. Since I stopped playing dress-ups so much I haven't been doing anything creative. The Trafalgar Dinner cossie was a nice bit of flexing the old costuming muscles. I had plans to make some jewellery and soft toys as gifts before Christmas but I left my run a bit late. I need to get my sewing machine fixed, but then I've got some plans for some crafty goodness.

worldpeace and a speedboat said...

still haven't seen that spunky naval uniform in the flesh, and I want to!

bit creatively frustrated myself at the moment. need a project, but also need the bloody SPACE to do it in...

worldpeace and a speedboat said...

btw no reason for this post except that the next word ver was to intriguing to resist: teatdof...