Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Home On The Range

Andy Towle of Towleroad has posted a sad story of a true-life gay cowboy romance. At a time when gay cowboys and domestic partnerships are both hot news items, it's worthwhile remembering why legal recognition of gay domestic unions is important on so many levels, not just for issues of emotion and respect, but legal ones as well. The story makes me so angry, and is only one in a long history of gay domestic partners being screwed over after the death of their loved one. Gah!

On a cheerier note, I'm eagerly looking forward to seeing Brokeback Mountain, when it starts its general release here in Sydney on 26th January. Not just for the beautiful Mr Jake Gyllenhaal in cowboy drag, but that sure does help.

10 comments:

The Other Andrew said...

Sure has gone quiet around here.

Hellloooooo!...

Sunshine said...

Oh - you and me both, Andrew :) I can't wait to see it either. And I just love the fact that it won 4 Golden Globes last night - action speaks louder than words - "up yours, Fred Nile" ... well, not literally ... oh EWWWWWW ... think I'm going to be sick.

The Other Andrew said...

Ewww, thanks for the Nile mental imagery! :-)

Shame that it didn't win any best actor awards, but it was up against tough competition. Just the thought of Jake in cowboy drag makes me want to claw myself with pleasure. *sigh*

Anonymous said...

It's sick what people go through to prevent us from being happy and just normal. The only reason we aren't normal, is because we aren't being treated that way!!!

I hope you LOVE BBM. I know you will.

The Other Andrew said...

Duane,
Jake + gay cowboy + shagging = 'no brainer' entertainment!

:-)

Michael Guy said...

I've yet to see BBM as I'm trying to determine if I want a breakdown crying jag before my vacation next week...or after. I'm thinking after.

:: In KEY WEST for two weeks; is that a bit closer to Sydney? ::

Michael said...

Sure, them boys are mo hot and yes I had to shift myself a few times to get more comfortable, but Andrew, all jokes aside, this movie is strikingly beautiful and wrenchingly emotional and immeasurably sad (for me). I didn't cry so much, and I never felt manipulated, but I can feel an ache even now just thinking about it. You won't be disappointed.

Michael said...

PS Don't (or do) download some of the songs from the soundtrack after. The lilting guitar in what seems like the main theme, "The Wings", haunts me.

The Other Andrew said...

My friend Stephen will be visiting from Brisbane over the week it starts here, so we already have a date to go see it the day it starts! I have heard it's very sad, so I'm primed to take tissues. I do so love a good weep. Looking forward to it!

Michael G, don't go getting all puffy before Key West.

Kt said...

I. Can't. Wait.