Thursday, January 26, 2006

Brokeback

I saw Brokeback Mountain this afternoon with my good friend Stephen, part of a wonderfull day we spent together, and even though my expectations were very high the film exceeded them tenfold.


"Come on now, you're sleepin' on your feet like a horse."

I know there is a huge chorus of us praising this film (especially we big ole Internet 'Mos), but this really is a beautiful, intensely moving and very important film. You won't find a dissenting voice here.

I sort of don't know where to begin to wrap all my feelings about the film up into one neat bundle for a post. First it is a strikingly beautiful movie; the scenery is gorgeous, the sense of place in the small towns and wide open country is beautifully captured, and the two leads are charismatic and handsome without tipping over into pretty-boys in cowboy drag.

I absolutely believed in Ennis and Jack (and Alma too) as living breathing people. The performances are truly stunning. The chemistry between Jack and Ennis is astounding, and the actors really have to be lauded for fleshing out these two men so beautifully. When Jack strokes Ennis's cheek it's a gesture that's simple and believable, yet also intense and loaded with meaning for these two men who are sharing something powerful that nobody else can even begin to understand.


Jake as Jack Twist

I know I'm gushing, but I was really swept up in the film and very moved by it. I think the movie has something for everyone in it, and it really does have universal themes that most people would be able to relate to. Love, attraction, loss, missed opportunities, fear, needing and wanting to fit in. Obviously it resonates very deeply for many gay people, and seeing the 'love that dare not speak it's name' given such a sensitive and moving treatment is special. It's a beautifully made and beautifully acted movie.

Go and see it. It is more than just a "gay cowboy" movie, it's a movie about human love and human fraility.

Oh, and marvel at the physical beauty of Jake Gyllenhaal as Jack Twist. My goodness.

Michael has posted a thoughtful review over at Pipedreams. Here's a collection of photos tagged 'Brokeback' on Flickr, including lots of movie stills. The movie also has an official website.

Seen it? Care to share your thoughts?

10 comments:

Michael said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Michael said...

Well put, brother. I knew you'd love it.
That photo you used at the top is the one I used as well. So striking in the film and so simple. Boil it down and THAT is what we all want. To feel that love and that comfort and that acceptance. Can anyone honestly judge that and find it wrong?

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad it's finally out in other parts of the world! I'm just stopping by (did a blogspot search for Jake Gyllenhaal, whom I am COMPLETELY obsessed with), and thought I'd say Hi! Loved your "gushing" about the movie...I totally agree. I've seen it twice, and some of the moments, the emotions, etc., have yet to sink in all the way. LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS MOVIE!!! Can't wait for the DVD!
Later, Jenn

The Other Andrew said...

Mikey, the pic I used is the same as yours but shot from a slightly different angle. The pose is the same.

Yes I loved it. It made me very sad but I managed to hold my shit together for most of the film. Mostly. There were lots of tears in the cinema! I need my own Jack Twist now. NOW! :-)

Jenn, thanks for stopping by! Come back and share the Jake G love sometime.

Sunshine said...

I didn't read this post. We are seeing it tonight. :P LOL.

The Other Andrew said...

Enjoy. It'll make you want to hold Sam's hand just a little tighter than usual I suspect. It's a lovely film.

Michael said...

That's how I've been feeling. This stupid life I'm leading ain't gonna get me my Jack Twist. And I need him.

The Other Andrew said...

2006 is going to be a good year for you Mr Mike. I swear it's so, so it must be true. Jeezalou you've got half The Internets in love with you already. :-) Be a brave little soldier and put yourself out there, and when you need some long distance hand holding, well you know where to come.

yani said...

What you said...

I saw it today...

Couldn't agree more...

Kt said...

Saw it. Loved it. Cried like a baby.