Friday, January 05, 2007

Widescreen Technicolour Panavision Oddness

I've been having sleeping problems again, and so earlier in the week I took the matter into my own hands and tried a sleeping pill. (A friend gave me two of hers to try, to see if I could break the poor sleep cycle.) Then the next night I didn't take one, and tossed and turned all night with weird and vivid dreams. So, on account of that night's broken sleep I took the second sleeping pill the following night.

Can we see where this is going? Yes, last night I slept without a sleeping pill and all of a sudden I was front row centre again in the Cineplex of me. Imax. Full glorious colour. (Hold the popcorn.)

Whew, kinda. I think in some weird way having a night of drugged sleep made the following night's dreams more vivid. Almost like the sleeping pill sleep was short on dreams and the following night was catch up. I'm not sure the brain really works like that but it's interesting that it happened each time. I don't like medication and avoid it if I can, and this little escapade just makes me think that sleeping pills (this kind anyway) are certainly not for me.

I think one possible answer probably lies in exercise. Or lack there of. I sit on my ass at a computer all day and although I do get a 20 minute walk each way to the office, this clearly isn't enough to keep me fit or make me physically tired at the end of the day. Come to think of it, I'm pretty certain I've posted this before... and not followed through.

Well, January is the time for resolutions, right?

8 comments:

M-H said...

Yep, well-known effect of sleeping pills. I've had the same thing happen. This is a whole branch of medicine now, called 'sleep hygiene'. Means you have be clean in mind and body to sleep well. :) No, seriously, there are a lot of things that you can do to improve your sleep patterns. Try googling "sleep disorders"+au for some local advice. Unfortunately the current research is seems to be focused on excessive sleepiness rather than insomnia.

The Other Andrew said...

Sleep hygiene? Um, eww. That sounds like I'm kinda filthy dirty because I can't sleep! :)

I think this is probably right. I mean, conditions internally and externally need to be conducive to sleep. My problem has never been 'classic' insomnia, not being able to get to sleep, but is more not staying asleep. Being a very, very light sleeper who's sleep patterns are easily upset.

I'll check it out - thanks for the heads up! I'll work on my hygiene...

Michael Guy said...

Oh, poor 'Sleepless in Sydney' I hear you, babe. I have NO problem falling alseep. Staying asleep? That is an entirely different matter. I wake up to a crying baby 5-full floors below me. If the BF tosses/turns just slightly..I'm up for a couple hours surfing the web. I've not done 'sleep aids' per se...but usually when I can't fall back asleep I'll split a Xanax. They're not a sleeping pill but there is no greater sense of satisfaction than feeling the body relax while the 'buh-bye' fog rolls in.

Though the next morning I feel like I'm pulling a mule cart through clay. I hope you can figure it all out and share your success. I need some sleep, too!

The Other Andrew said...

MG, I did a bit of web surfing at m-h's suggestion and found a local website that sells a sleep better programme. Sounds interesting, 50 strategies to help manage the different forms of insomnia. At $149 it's a bit pricey for my budget at present, but I like the idea of non-drug programme. I'll probably bust out and give it a try once I can afford it.

Ur-spo said...

dear me, which sleeping pill are you using?
Sleep hygiene BTW is indeed very efficacious, but like running, takes some practice to get up/going and working.

The Other Andrew said...

Ur-spo, I think they were branded Stillnox. Although, when I had a broken collarbone a few years back I was given a script of Stillnox and they didn't affect me in the same way...

M-H said...

Also... my girlfriend recommends Blackmore's 'Tranquil Nights' - a herbal mix of valerian and some other things. And she is a nurse with a PhD in physiology, in circadian rhythms specifically, so she knows whereof she speaketh. And it's worked for her.

Mikey (TLE) said...

I've taken Stillnox before and they worked fine for me as well.

I recommend a handful of Xanax and a big glass of wine... But then, I have issues... Haha!