Friday, October 03, 2008

TGIF

It's a long weekend! I'm not even certain why (something about The Queen I think), but will lack of understanding stop me from feeling a sense of being entitled? No. Were it not for the fact that I'm temping at present and don't get paid for holidays, I think she should give us one every week. We've supported her all these years. If she doesn't want us to go all Republic on her ass she should, I mean there's a vote winner, right?

Today is going to be crazy hot. 35C (95F), in Spring! (Someone get me Al Gore on the line.) I hope it says warm, but maybe not that warm, over this long weekend. I feel like doing a bunch of social things this weekend, but one of the things I'm going to tackle is a bit of spring cleaning. Weeks of internet addiction based inaction mean my home could use a bit of attention. I'm kind of thinking a 'take everything out of the kitchen cupboards, scrub, edit the pantry, scour eveything' sort of major kitchen detox just for starters.

Hopefully next week (finances permitting) I'm starting to buy the paint to repaint my house. Yay. I'm starting with the front bedroom, which I'm going to make into an office/studio. It currently has a sort of yellow cream colour on the walls, and the ornate cornices are picked out in dark colours of brown and blue. Yup, ugly and dated.

I'm going to paint the cornices and ceiling rose white, to match the ceiling, and the walls a very pale green (so pale it almost reads as cream), and the fireplace surround wall a fresh green (sort of like the colour of an unripe pear, but a bit darker). Fresh is what I'm going for. I'd like to paint the skirting boards white too (they're cream at present), but the same colour has been used throughout the whole house for all doors and trims, and I'm not sure I'm up for that much of a challenge, yet. If they look dingy I might do them room by room.

Hey Sydneysiders: applications for volunteer painters are now open!

I might do some work in my garden too. I've been ignoring it while the house next door has been a building site, but since the weather has turned so global-warmingly unseasonably warm, I feel like doing some entertaining out there. Drinky dinks on a warm night.

The other thing I might do on Sunday morning is go to the organic markets again, I haven't been for a while. I'm on a bit of a 'clean food' mission at present, repenting for the bad take-away habits of the winter passed, and a trip to the markets sounds ideal. Then Sunday afternoon will be knitting at the pub. Nice.

Those are my vague plans. What are yours?

7 comments:

Edna Wilt said...

Sweetie, I think you'll find Monday is Labour Day. Nuffink to do with the Queen, cos let's face it, when has she ever done a stitch of work! :-)
Enjoy!

The Other Andrew said...

I never let a lack of knowledge get in the way of forming an opinion. :) Thanks for the heads-up!

Mel said...

Here in the US, Monday will be Columbus Day, so government and bank offices will be closed. In Canadia, it's Thanksgiving.

This weekend, I shall be heading to Peru to play interpreter for my partner and his production manager as they try to deal with some serious production issues for his company. I don't anticipate a lot of fun, but maybe some decent wines.

The Other Andrew said...

Peru! How fab. Jellus! I know you said 'not fun', but still... Peru!

Charisse said...

I love painting!! I will happily be a volunteer painter!
I'm tossing up whether to go to the organic markets on Sunday, but will definitely be at knitting.
I'm heading to Surry Hills markets tomorrow morning to eat gozleme and buy some mad summer clothing.
The rest of my (long) weekend will be taken up with knitting, trying to write a research paper I've been putting off for too long, a picnic at the Rozelle Mental Hospital grounds and the Convict's Opera.

M-H said...

Oooh, Convicts Opera! We thought it was fab. Enjoy!

Sorry, Andrew, but my painting days are over. My eyesight isn't great, and I think that you'd be quickly asking me *not* to do any more.

Anonymous said...

Ok, since you ask:

Sleep-in; laundry (hanging out the whites under cover cos it will probly be raining and then doing the coloureds and ditto); Tasmanian Symphony Orchestra (Sat pm); maybe an Italian film but probly not; probably a good part of 2 of the 3 days into the office (including seeing client and solicitor from the country on Mon pm) preparing for a 3-day trial starting on Tues and another on Fri, plus backlog (i'm dreaming!. And sadly some time wasted on the interweb.

I'm thinking there must be another weekend coming up which I can make long for myself. Possibly Oct 26 (first possible).