Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Sometimes It's Best Just To Do Nothing

I'm not normally one for rash behaviour. At least I like to think that, but in reality if I turn the objective magnifying lens on myself I have been known to make plenty of last minute and unplanned decisions. Jobs quit. Relationships ended.

I nearly made another rash decision in the past few days, and almost ended my relationship with this blog. It's kind of odd because over the 4 and a half years I've been blogging I haven't had a patch like that. I've taken short breaks, and I've had times when posting was quite tough, but I haven't come so close to packing it in. In truth I would miss it too much, and everyone that stops by here and reads and engages with me through the comments. The weird thing is I've actually enjoyed the posts I've been putting up over the past week or so, but somehow the experience has been unsatisfying.

Maybe I've just fallen victim to a malaise that seems to be affecting some of my blogging buddies? Posting frequency and comments seem to be down on heaps of blogs that I normally read. I'm still considering taking a short break, but it would be just a bit of time away to refresh, rethink, recharge. This blog is kind of organic, sometimes it's incredibly personal and other times (as maybe is the case of late) it becomes a cabinet or curiousities, and a collection of... stuff. The one constant though is that I've enjoyed the doing, the sharing.

Anyway, a couple of sweet comments put a smile on my face. I was watching a tv show about adoption reunions and I had a BIG cry (seriously, I cry at the drop of a hat, but happy stories can make me blub like a baby!). A bit of release, a bit of perspective, and I'm glad in hindsight that I didn't decide to pack it in.

19 comments:

Michael said...

I'm glad, too. Haven't been in a comment-y mood lately, but I always read. Always.

I'd miss you terribly if you were gone. You can't quit. You've ALWAYS done the heavy lifting in our relationship, so you can't change now.

Tom said...

No! Don't stop! I'm always pleased to see you pop up in my RSS feed reader thingy. You're carrying the baton for the rest of us lazy arse Sydney bloggers! :)

The Other Andrew said...

Thanks sweetpea! That's very sweet. You always know when to say the right thing. Just think, we've probably known each other cyber-ly for about 4 years now!

The Other Andrew said...

You too Tom, that's very sweet!

Mel said...

What they said. I always look forward to seeing what's up Down Under and love your pics.

Kris said...

Oh, don't pack it in! You know what this time of year is like. It's spring, and everybody has weddings and Christmas parties and everything to go to. It'll get back to normal in December when none of us have anything better to do. :)

freakgirl said...

I feel like my blogs have been pretty low-energy lately, too. I've been entertaining the thought of quitting, too, but...not quite yet.

Cecilia said...

Me too--glad you didn't pack it in. Yours is one of the blogs I check in on the most often and I'd really miss if if you went away.

Anonymous said...

I don't think I have commented here before -it's not something I do often. However, you are one of my daily reads and I wou;d really miss you. I enjoy your pictures and your comments about your life. And I really enjoyed the pictures of the costumes you made - I've done some sewing and I know the amount of talent and skill it takes to do what you accomplished.

Michael Guy said...

I have been a miserable slug in the commenting department for many weeks. I dunno. I hear you. I read more and more nowadays how blogging is '...sooo 2004" already.' "Micro-blogging" is the new sheriff in town; I've tried but it leaves me wanting. Wanting to say so much more.

You are a very talented writer, Andrew, as well as a gifted photographer. I enjoy your blog very much. Always have. I'd miss you if you stopped/killed/sacrificed your blog.

jason said...

Good advice up there indeed.


And what would we do without you?!

The Other Andrew said...

Thanks everyone, you're all so sweet!

spyder said...

Totally understand the need to take a break and refresh but I'll cry like a big baby if you it's too big a break.
And would you believe, I simply *cannot* watch that show.
Who knew?

Anonymous said...

I too am glad you are keeping on. I'd miss your blog.

Mindy said...

Glad you are still here.

Anonymous said...

Andrew, I know that I just lurk around here without commenting most of the time but I would really miss my daily visits here if you stopped blogging. If you stay around I promise not to fidget for the rest of the day. :-)

Ur-spo said...

although I don't always leave comment, I drop in near daily; you are one of my favorite blogs to read.
Take a little rest or slow down, but if you stopped I would miss you greatly.

Unknown said...

Don't go! You're better than you think you are.

scottiejt said...

YOU CANNOT GO!!!! I WOULD MISS YOU!!