Thursday, October 16, 2008

Do Butterflies Even Have Balls?

When I was a kid, I loved this song. Loved it! As a small child I saved up my pocket money to buy my first ever single, which was a Eurovision Song Contest winner*, no less. So I was somewhat of a child savant in the musical taste arena.


"Butterfly Ball" by Roger Glover and Ronnie James Dio

I always remembered the clip as being really cute, but there was something about the song itself that I really liked even before I saw the clip. I didn't realise it was based on an existing kid's book though. In hindsight it makes sense, and the animation was clearly a tie in with the book.
"The Butterfly Ball and the Grasshopper's Feast is a concept album and subsequent live rock opera appearing in 1974 and 1975 respectively, based on the children's book of the same title."

Does anything say 1970s more than the term rock opera?! (Ok, maybe flares.)

* Sandie Shaw, "Puppet On A String"

5 comments:

ilduce said...

Reminds me of the old joke:

"Why do mice have such small balls?"

"Very few of them know how to dance"

Anonymous said...

Loved that...thanks for the flashback...

jason said...

How'd this escape me?
Very trippy.

bendalong said...

i loved this when i was a kid, thanks for the info on who wrote i am on a mission now to get a copy of the clip for the nieces as they would love it. :)

The Other Andrew said...

Glad you enjoyed it everyone!