Thursday, May 31, 2007

Fortunately Clocks Don't Go To 6:66

I had a totally fucked up night's sleep last night, tossing and turning and not dreaming of John Barrowman. What the fuh? Why forsake me John?

I'm a very light sleeper, and if I wake in the middle of the night boooooiingggg I'm wide awake and functioning. You want long division? Want me to spell floccinaucinihilipilification? No problem. The downside of this is that I don't just roll over and go back to sleep easily. The worst thing to do of course is to freak out about what time it is by looking straight at the bedside clock, which of course is the first thing I always reflexively do.

Last I woke up and looked at the clock, and it said 3:33. "Huh, neat" I thought and went back to sleep.

Then I woke up again and the clock said 4:44. "Um, whoa" I thought and went back to sleep.

Then I woke up again, and this is 100% true, the clock said 5:57. My first thought? "Fuck, I missed it."

2 comments:

Ur-spo said...

Turn the clock around!
There is some evidence that people who wake in the night/look at the clock have actually conditioned themselves TO wake up at these times.
Apparently at a subconscious level.
So for all 'clockwatchers', set the alarm but turn it around and don't look at it when you wake.
this will take time to deprogramme.

The Other Andrew said...

Yeah, I do know this and I usually do turn the clock so I can't see the display. I adjusted my alarm last night to get up a bit earlier this morning, and I forgot to turn it around again.

Weird though, huh? I read on a blog somewhere once that the writer makes a wish whenever she happens to see a clock that reads as a string of the same numbers. I'm not superstitious, but I still thought it was funny/strange.