Saturday, August 16, 2008

The Value Of Friendship

I had a lovely night last night catching up with a good friend (and curiously also my landlord) who has been in town for work this past week. He now lives in Korea, having moved there for work. In the past 4 years he has married an amazing local woman, had a child and now has another on the way. At the end of this year we will have been friends for 31 years.

In some ways we've become family to each other over all those years. He was the first person I came out to, and I think I was the first person that he told that he was very unhappy in his previous marriage, and was considering leaving. Our lives are very different, but a shared sense of humour and a genuine sense of... I don't know... being kindred spirits I guess has kept us friends all these years.

Whenever we catch up with each other it's like no time has passed. We're not the same kids that met in first year high school by any stretch of the imagination, but in many ways the friendship is exactly the same. It's wonderful.

3 comments:

Cecilia said...

What a lovely way to spend an evening!

jason said...

wow...31 years? I admire (and envy a bit) that.

Ur-spo said...

yes it is wonderful
i have a few friends whom I haven't seen in years but I know we are connected and if we were to get together it would be right away back to where we left off.