Saturday, August 02, 2008

Perfect In Almost Every Way

OMG, there aren't many consolations for being at home on a Saturday night, but watching "Breakfast At Tiffany's" commercial-free on ABC2 is one of them. This is week 5 or something of a Saturday night Audrey Hepburn retrospective and tonight we're standing straight at Tiffany's. (Last week we were Thinking Pink, and falling in love in Paris with Fred Astaire, in "Funny Face". And yes, sadly I was home last Saturday night too that means.)



Audrey has just realised that the incredibly beautiful young George Peppard (proof below) is in fact, essentially, a male prostitute. Those eyes, so blue! And it's about this point in the film that you realise it's a way more subversive affair than the beautiful dresses and silly Mickey Rooney Japanese characterisation would imply.



Note to self, time to buy the Truman Capote book after all.

11 comments:

Michael said...

It's one of the few films I can watch over and over. George Peppard...gah! So dreamy in it. And Audrey, of course, in a role she MADE perfect for herself. I'll be interested to hear your thoughts about the book.

Wish I was with you in on a Saturday night.

The Other Andrew said...

Ah thanks pet, I wish you were here too. Then we could have martinis and you could slip into that black satin sheath, while I pretend to be a beautiful struggling whore/writer.

Michael said...

Not such a stretch for us?

The Other Andrew said...

They call it typecasting.

Michael said...

Which I understand, but I think I could do good work in a silk charmeuse. I have range.

The Other Andrew said...

Understood, not to mention your tiara work. That's something special indeed.

mrpeenee said...

Wait, wait, wait. I both saw the movie and read the book in my youth and had no impression that the narrator was a rentboy. Oh my, the naivete of those tender years.

The Other Andrew said...

Well... the wealthy married lady that sets him up in an apartment, writes him cheques, leaves a stack of bills on the nightstand... and is definately sleeping with him...

Victor said...

George Peppard certainly was goodlooking in his younger days.

Anonymous said...

I read the book years ago during a Capote phase. The movie is one of my faves, despite the painful scenes with Mickey Rooney in Japanese drag. I have lots of friends of Asian descent here in SF who think it's a horrible movie because of the over-the-top and not-so-subtle racism inherent in Rooney's portrayal. I usually fast-forward through those scenes and concentrate on how beautiful George and Audrey were.

I live in a fairly small apartment, so nearly every party I have turns into a Holly Golightly kind of bash. "TIMBER!"

The Other Andrew said...

The Mickey Rooney scenes are really unfortunate and excruciating to watch. A bit of a blot on the film I agree, and kind of unneccessary too.