Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Your Life On The Lawn

There is some sort of council rubbish collection on in the street where our office is located, and consequently the footpaths are piled with people's discards. It's kind of fascinating. None of it is worthy of a Curbside Salvage run, it really is junk. Broken pot plant pots, a single battered work boot, 2 cupboard doors (sans cupboard) - that sort of thing.

It's interesting to see if you can guess what the junk's previous owners are like though. One pile had some discarded soft toys in it - children grown maybe?, or the toys out-grown?, or too battered and grimy to be hygenic anymore? One pile had two appliance boxes in it; a 'mini stepper' home gym thing and a 'dynamic bullet' small food processor/juicer contraption. The sort of cheap quality appliances that are advertised on late night infomercials, promising all sort of life changing benefits for just three low monthly payments.

I like to think of it as an exercise in Urban Haruspicy".

6 comments:

Michael said...

Mmmmm, entrails.

The Other Andrew said...

I know! Nummy.

Sunshine said...

I HAVE to ask - used condoms?? :P

The Other Andrew said...

Eww. None that I could see, but I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing.

worldpeace and a speedboat said...

I think that's a good thing...

Fran Carleton said...

When I see stuff like that I wonder...

What happened to the other boot, perhaps it's that one I saw on the side of the freeway?

What happened to the cupboards?

And were do people keep these piles of rubbish while waiting for Council clean up day?