Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Ruby

I saw this gorgeous little creature sitting on her owner's lap at a sidewalk cafe in Newtown on Sunday, and just had to get a picture. Asking people if you can take their picture is hard, it taps into my big store of shyness, but appreciating something that they feel proud of, a pet say, or their personal style, goes a long way to being an icebreaker.

Ruby

It's a curious thing, this taking pictures. The camera can create a wall between yourself and other people sometimes, but at other times it creates a bridge to communication. Ruby's owner was quite happy for me to take her picture, and while I did he opened up about how he came to rescue Ruby from the pound. When he rescued her she had 2 broken back legs, possibly from having been thrown from a moving vehicle. She's at least part Chinese Crested, with probably some Chihuahua mixed in, with little odd tufts of hair here and there and a couple of bald spots. It's this slightly grizzled charm that makes him sometimes address her as "Monty Burns".

We chatted for about 5 minutes and it was a really lovely moment. There was obviously a lot of love between the two of them and I felt a little bit privileged to be let into their world, if only for 5 minutes.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fabulous shot!

If I can spruke another fad, Moo Cards (www.moo.com) make great handouts when you take someone's picture.

Fran Carleton said...

Great shot, but she don't look too happy having her picture taken!

Michael Guy said...

This pup just needs to belt out Jennifer Holiday's classic "You're Gonna Loooooove Me" What a sweet mug; I need to bring him home.

:: Made that mistake before ::

Anonymous said...

Nice shot and he's cute. I always find photographing punters intimidating. I know it is just the fear and the worst thing it could happen is you don't take the photo. Still can't give myself a courage to make a move to ask.

Ur-spo said...

that seems a lovely idea to either work on shyness or merely get to know new people. I suppose the worst to happen is a refusal. Mostly you will get good photos, but maybe once in a while a new friend.

Michael said...

You just want her in your lap. Same for the owner?

The Other Andrew said...

Tyson, I got myself a free set of 10 MOO cards when they were offering the trial. Sehr cute! They almost feel too precious to give out... :)

Jodie, Ruby was a tad trepidatious I think, but I let her sniff my hand and give it a few licks - and we were best buddies from then on. Maybe like me she has a 'photo face'?...

Michael, the owner was fairly cute(ish) - in a cargo shorts, tight t, couple of tattoos, beanie sort of way. He was nice to chat to and obviously had a good heart I'd say.

MG, collector of strays, much?

'Pong & Quinn, it's an aim of mine to get better at this thing of approaching people. I've missed so many great shots through being too shy to ask!