Tuesday, October 10, 2006

I Got The Music In Me

Last night was that precious rarity of late - a quiet night in. Just me and the tv.

I had left the office a couple of hours early, on account of the complete lack of any functioning office equipment meaning that I, well, basically had nothing to do (and normally I'm so thoroughly fine with that so long as My Friend The Internetz is to hand). Working in a new suburb, a new suburb filled with new shops, meant that I was powerless to resist the urge to do some Retail Therapy on the way home. Powerless. Not my fault. Those wily shopkeepers.

Anyhoo, I'm not too proud to admit to trawling the bargain bins of JB Hi-Fi. DVDs are like men, most satisfying when they're cheap and easy to lay your hands on. I missed seeing Rent when it was on at the movies here earlier this year, and never saw the stage musical, so when I saw it at like 75% off the original price I couldn't resist. Plus, you know, it being a musical and me being a big musical loving homo, plus the praise it got from other big homos, my curiosity was piqued.

I wouldn't say it blew exactly, but I struggled to get into it and was kinda underwhelmed. Don't start hating on me for not loving it - I'll give it another watch without prejudice, and try and picture myself in a darkened theatre with a full Big Gay Audience (and a Big Gay Cast), and see if my opinion is revised. Maybe I'll try a new drinking game, and do a shot everytime the lipsynching in the film is really, really obvious.

I would be very drunk by the closing credits.

Keeping to the evening's theme of music, I then tuned in to see who was voted off the island on Australian Idol, and of course the general public (aka 14 year old girls with mobile phone accounts and a serious case of texting induced thumb strain) again got it wrong. One of the best voices in the comp gone whilst the obvious choice to go, a teenage girl who has forever tunelessly wrecked my passion for the song "Heart of Glass" by Blondie, gets to sit on the Big Ugly Couch until next week. Ech, whatever.

The musical portion of the evening concluded and then it was on to The Biggest Loser. My verdict? Quite a moving and satisfying episode; what with the care packages from home, the missing out on the care packages from home, the lovefest on the Blue Team, the surprise loss (and subsequent lesson in over confidence) for the Blue Team. Grand themes.

I'm kind of gobsmacked at the numbers these people are losing though. I mean, I know 'water weight' and all that, but the numbers are HUGE. Can that be healthy? And, how can I get some of that action? Healthy or not. Trainer Bob I need you, seriously. Speaking of which, he just gets hotter to me every darn week - even with the mullet.

Afterwards I was channel surfing and saw that a gay comedy I saw a while back and enjoyed, the German film Balls, was starting on SBS. So of course I watched it again, staying up way too late and completely blowing my intention of an early night. It's such a sweet film, with two very charismatic leads, and is one of a handful of films I can think of that disprove the prejudice that "German" and "comedy" are words that make strange bedfellows.

11 comments:

Michael said...

Oh, as soon as I read that you picked up RENT from the bargain bin, I was all "Doh!". Don't even bother watching it again, brotha. Repeat viewing will do nothing to enhance its charms. It won't age well. And still I LOVE it. As you know, I saw it in the theater. Twice. Add in DVD viewing, along with soundtrack listening (both movie soundtrack and original Broadway cast recording thanks to luscious loulou) and the the numbers become staggering. But not staggeringly embarrassing. Not one bit. At all. proud. that's what i am. So you didn't get up and dance and swan your arms around during La Vie Boheme? Even a little?

Michael said...

At least we still share Bob. Oh, and step away from him, bitch.

That accent! Unnnhhhh.

yani said...

Yeah, I gotta say... sometimes there's a reason stuff gets put into the 75% Off Bargain Bin...

I was also not loving the Rent-ness...

Michael said...

Y'all so discriminatin'!

Life is sweeter when your tastes are pedestrian.

Mindy said...

I console myself with the though Idol wise, that they voted off Ricki-Lee early on too, and she has done okay. Lavina will go on. Hopefully Lisa will just stop.

The Other Andrew said...

Word, Mindy. Word.

The Other Andrew said...

Michael, I think context is an issue for me with Rent. If I had seen it when it was more current it would be different, I think. You are probably right about it not ageing well, although I do remember the times of the setting very well. I think the film isn't that well made also, the lipsynching is generally pretty bad.

A musical about AIDS? "Zero Patience" is more my speed. The 'butthole duet' has to be seen to be believed. :)

Michael Guy said...

I've never seen "RENT." On the stage or at the movies. Loud. Music. Young people. I'm old.

Besides...isn't it just "A CHORUS LINE" for the attention deficit set?

Michael said...

Blasphemer!

yani said...

I watched "Balls" yesterday (I taped it on Monday night) and I have to agree, a very sweet film (hello Sven HOTNESS)... although it's definitely one of those ones where you know the "good guys" will triumph and you're just waiting to see how :)

The Other Andrew said...

MG, sadly no showgirl turns, head snaps or jazz hands in Rent. Very. Disappointing.

Yani, "Sven" is very, very cute but I liked the main actor too. "Ecki". Cute in a 'curly blonde locks' kind of way. Sweet. And yes the film is a bit predictable, but if I'm going to watch a gay Rom Com then goddammit I want a happy ending!