Friday, July 15, 2005

Happy 13th Birthday

13 years ago today my friend Bodhi did something for himself, and his loved ones, of unparalleled importance. He stopped drinking himself comatose, walked into an A.A. meeting and got sober.

I only met Bodhi earlier this year, through this blog in fact, so I never saw The Drinking and Drugging Years. The stories though are enough to make your hair curl. I have never had any sort of substance addiction (is 'reality' tv a substance?) so I don't pretend to have any sort of first-hand knowledge.

Having said that, I can see that Bodhi got through with strength of will, good support and sheer determination. So today is Bodhi's 13th birthday, 13 years since he turned his life around and I guess that counts as the most important sort of re-birth. Happy birthday my friend.

[If you want any more info on recovery, especially from a Buddhist perspective, check out Bodhi's homepage which is a great source of links, or his other site Buddhist Recovery.]

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

:-)

[Ghasso & Deep Bow]

Bodhi
Sydney, Australia

Anonymous said...

HAPPY B'DAY DAD!!!! Now your a teenager like me, and since your only 13 and i'm 15, you need to let me control all the money :-)

The Other Andrew said...

Har! Oh, and Ashley, don't forget to remind him constantly just how annoying 15 year old girls find 13 year old boys.

Anonymous said...

In the immortal words of the Rabbit, "YOU people think you are SO funny".

Bodhi :-)
Sydney, Australia