Thursday, November 29, 2007

Paste Up

I've noticed lately a lot more street art that is being done on paper, and then pasted up like posters. I guess because it lends itself to screen printing and other forms of image production than just stencils or freehand drawing. I still have an issue with where some of this stuff is pasted, for example there is a sculpture in Newtown that has been effectively ruined by various forms of grafitti, including paste ups.

However, despite that I do like the actual designs of some of this work, and like these 2 examples from the park around the corner from my house, the way they get distressed, weathered or intentionally defaced over time sometimes adds to their charm.



Watcher
The Watcher

Fascist Love
Fascist Love

7 comments:

Thombeau said...

I like these!

When I was in my early twenties, I made dozens of photocopies of Maria Callas singing a high note. It was just her face, fierce makeup, and her mouth wide open. Black and white. Life size. I then pasted them all over Boystown in Chicago. Many were at window level for the buses that passed by. Very surreal. A few of them stayed up for years!

I don't know why I did this, other than that it was the early eighties, and I was gay.

Very Fabulon, in retrospect!

The Other Andrew said...

Maria Callas?!

Oh honey, you are GAY.

The Other Andrew said...

...not that there's anything wrong with that.

Cecilia said...

I like them a lot too. I'll have to pay more attention when I'm wandering around your neighborhood.
I also like the election ones a lot. They would make great t-shirts.

Anonymous said...

I generally like to see street art even if it's badly done, it's nearly always preferable to the acres of concrete that dulls our cities. It's also the oldest form of art really, drawing on walls. The trouble is that--post-Bansky--it's starting to become less sincere as some people see it as a route to flogging stuff in a gallery. Wooster Collective is always worth a look for the more inventive examples.

yani said...

Mmmmmmm paste-ups....

But then I does love me some street art, in all its forms!

Landis said...

love it. so chic. so gritty. more!