Friday, November 30, 2007

New Project

I have a 3 hour car ride to Canberra this weekend for the Bush Dance I mentioned on Wednesday, so I wanted to throw a simple and somewhat mindless knitting project into my bag for the journey. Idle hands, the Devil, etc people! A couple of weeks back a friend of Lara's brought along 2 giant plastic bags of her grandmother's old yarn stash to our pub knitting session, to see if any of us wanted to take it off her hands.

Vintage Yarn
Nummy purple and chocolate brown vintage yarn



I scored some balls of this vintage Patons "Totem" 8ply wool. Can I tell you how much I love the purple? Seriously. It's shot through with plys of red and blue, giving it a nice lively aspect. (I love a good lively aspect, but who doesn't right?) I don't know how old this yarn is, but it had a distinctive mothball smell which is now thankfully fading.



Totem Scarf
No matter how much I fiddled with this pic, the colours are too light. The contrast is much more subtle and the tones darker, more like the colours in the first pic.



So, I cast on for a simple 2x2 rib scarf, fairly skinny and hopefully fairly long. I have 4 balls of the brown and 3 of the purple, so I'm knitting the stripes in the same ratio. I find knitting rib kind of tedious, so I've definately made a rod for my own back with this one. However, it's pretty mindless to knit, and I wanted to knit something reversible, so rib it is. Good car ride/watching telly knitting.

9 comments:

Thombeau said...

Excellent. I love the colors in the first pic!

The Other Andrew said...

Yeah, me too. The contrast is actually quite subtle because the tones are fairly similar. Quite dark. The second pic doesn't really do the colours justice and I couldn't get it to look right.

M-H said...

Love the colours. Like berry chocolate.

The Other Andrew said...

Yes! Berry chocolate.

Mmmmmmm.

Thombeau said...

Exactly!

Cecilia said...

That's going to be really pretty.
Have fun in Canberra!

The Other Andrew said...

Thanks Cecilia!

Michael said...

Oooh, and it's just scarf season here. I complain of the cold sometimes, but I love to cozy up in a good scarf. And of course practice in the mirror all the different artful ways to present it. Like yesterday. Light grey v-neck sweater, dark grey wool pants, black short jacket, and then POP it with a red cashmere scarf! That's my motif this season, btw. Muted shades of grey (or brown if I'm feeling kicky) and then a POP of color. Yes?

The Other Andrew said...

Red cashmere. Excuse me while I take a moment. Mmm.........

Sadly I can't wear red.