Wednesday, October 31, 2007

War Zone

Freakgirl linked to this article about office pet peeves, and I have to say that some of the things listed can be annoying, but most of them don't bother me. Innapropiate use of email and the internet? Um, sure. (I guess that makes me part of the problem, not the solution.)

Here's a little taste of our big issue here where I work, THE KITCHEN. This is an email that was sent around by my boss yesterday:


Please be advised that I will be taking ALL of the plastic containers on top of the fridges to donate to the Salvation Army shop on Thursday afternoon.

If any are yours I suggest you take them home ASAP. Thanks.


We have a couple of real offenders who contribute to the kitchen grossness, perhaps not surprisingly they are also 30 years olds that still live at home with Mum and Dad. The plastic containers is just the latest battle being fought, the big issue normally is a sink piled with dirty dishes. Sometimes for days on end. Like, even over the weekend.

So gross that I sometimes boycott the kitchen, for health reasons.

13 comments:

Thombeau said...

Where's their Jesus NOW???

M-H said...

Worst workplace kitchen I ever encountered was in a Department of Public Health. Go figure.

Anonymous said...

I once worked with a woman who dealt with workplace kitchen disgustingness by simply placing all the unwashed crockery, including coffee plungers, in the bin without saying anything at all. It worked a treat.

Campbell said...

We have similar notices regularly at work as our plastics seem to be on a fertility programme!

Fran Carleton said...

I once put up the following in an office kitchen,

Despite popular belief, there is no washing up fairy. So clean up your own mess you lazy buggers!

It worked a treat!

The Other Andrew said...

We have a "Your mother does not work here, was your own dishes" sign but that doesn't seen to help, sadly. Maybe I should put up a "Hey Christians! Cleanliness Is Next To Godliness!" sign?

When I worked in a hospital in a Child Protection unit, the director used to bin any dirty dishes left in the sink. It worked because we had to bring in our own stuff, but here all the crockery is supplied.

bernard said...

Ahm hello...

"The online survey, conducted for staffing firm Randstad USA, found the second biggest peeve at 54 percent was poor time management which included people making personal phones calls at work or surfing the Internet during work time."

So the respondents weren't surfing the net during work time to respond to the survey?

The Other Andrew said...

Hah! Good point Bernard... :)

Michael said...

Yuck. I'm glad I don't work in an office. Or have superiors. I'm kind of in charge, I suppose. I know. Anarchy!

Michael Guy said...

We regularly have notices about 'wash your coffee mugs/dishes/utensils.'

Trouble is the dish-scrubbie thing is far nastier than the sink full of unwashed plates. Ish!

:: brings microwaveable entree/or eats out ::

The Other Andrew said...

Michael In Charge, they should make a tv show called that or something.

MG, I just replaced all the dish scrubbers etc the other day. GROSS.

Ur-spo said...

no one owns up to the kitchen; everything hopes someone else will clean things up, like the house manager.
andthe contents of the fridge is the worst.

Mikey (TLE) said...

Alas at work we have a "washing up fairy" called "kitchen staff". One fo the perks of working for a fascist bastard law firm.
Of course, that just means people feel they have license to dump food in the sink and let it clog everything up because someone will (eventually) clean it up. So, actually, still gross.