Thursday, October 04, 2007

Pretty Pictures

It feels like it's time for a bit of eye candy.



I find this picture of an American footballer from somewhere around 1910 absolutely captivating. The picture itself is lovely, spare but with a beautiful quality from the shallow focal length. I find the guy in the picture so striking looking, so still and composed yet somehow brimming with energy. Plus, hello, handsome! Not everyone can pull off horizontal stripes.



Talk about rougish charm. This guy in the boat manages to look sexy, goofy, sweet and tough all at the same time. Anything but wimpy.



This photo makes me think of a young faun, or satyr maybe, bathing in the river. Almost as if it was a study for a character in a painting by J.W Waterhouse, or one of the other Pre-Raphaelite painters.

8 comments:

mrpeenee said...

my, that little football thug is tasty, isn't he? Especially with his big leather codpiece.

The Other Andrew said...

I know, right? Hot.

yani said...

Yeah, forget about the whole "striking looking, so still and composed yet somehow brimming with energy" thing... my first thought on viewing this was "Hello Pants!"

I do like the "faun" guy too... it also screams Bruce Weber a bit... all that stuff he's done with naked guys at swimming holes and stuff.

The Other Andrew said...

Ah, a crotch shot gets 'em every time. :)

Mikey (TLE) said...

Football boy is my favourite also. Well, he would be, wouldn't he.

The shot (especially that combination of stillness and energy) reminds me of Titian's "Portrait of a Young (English)Man". It has a similar pose and a similar quality.

Anonymous said...

Great pictures!!

The faun guy is in a dreamy place I would like to be, and the footballer's machimso is very attractive

Thombeau said...

Vintage buttcrack! I love it!

worldpeace and a speedboat said...

methinks that's not a leather codpiece, it's stiff (oooh errr) canvas pants and then a kidney belt on top. the canvas has a way of, y'know, creasing in the right places...

that's a lovely photo TOA, but am continuing to be disturbed by the photos of the same era as my dad's with the lusting ;) same cossies and boats and stuff. weird.