Tuesday, August 01, 2006

BFF

Catching up with my old friend Robbie over the weekend was fantastic. Robbie and I have known each other for around 20 or 21 years, half both of our lifetimes. I have two other friends that I have known for even longer, who between the three of them I have clocked up around 77 years of friendship. Robbie and I can go 6 months or a year without seeing each other and still just pick up exactly where we left off. There is so much experience and familiarity between us that we are completely at ease with each other, able to talk in a kind of shorthand made up of shared references, and be able to cuddle without any sort of sexual tension.

I was thinking about this the other day and realised it's unconditional love. Familiarity hasn't bred contempt, it's bred a mutual understanding of who we both are and a mutual appreciation of each other - warts and all. It's really beautiful and very special.

6 comments:

Ur-spo said...

that was so well said -
may I copy it and use it?

BTW, you are a fortunate man to have such relatioships.

The Other Andrew said...

Sure! Just change the names otherwise your friends might wonder who your friend "Robbie" is!... :)

Michael said...

I agree. Perfect. And rare.

Fran Carleton said...

My Dad always said to me as a child 'If you have one true in your life, you're lucky'.

I always beleived that friendships needs to be cultivated just as much as any kind of relationship.

Either way, friendship makes an impact on your life that effects every aspect of your life. Keep up the good work!

Fran Carleton said...

D'oh! That should be:

'If you have one true FRIEND in your life, you're lucky'.

(Dyslexia rules KO! ;-)

Michael Guy said...

If I die having just one "best friend" I will count my life as blessed. "Best friends" often afford richer and more meaningful relationships than family...in my experience.