Saturday, August 19, 2006

"I Look Up From My Vermouth On The Rocks..."

"...a gift wrapped wig still in a box,
of towering velveteen."


iOTA as Hedwig Robinson (nee Schmidt)
Photo by "Yitzak", from iOTA's photo page.


Last night Morgan, Gadgetgirl, Kris, Kris's husband The Snook, and I went to see a live performance of Hedwig And The Angry Inch at @ Newtown. What an amazing night, and an fantastic show! Kris has posted her comments about the show, and I have to agree with her sentiments about the star iOTA. So talented! To carry an entire show for an hour and a half, rock it out, make the slow numbers tender and sad, and keep up the energy is amazing. Very, very talented. iOTA's co-star Blazey Best and the band were incredible as well. One of the most fun live performances I've been to.

I'm a massive tragic for the film, after having been introduced to it by Mikey (the lovely ex) some years back. The stage performance is something special though, the energy of the rock music really comes to the fore. You know that I couldn't help myself but sing along like the fan-boy I am, right? There's something about live theatre that I really love, and I think it's that two-way communication with the cast on stage. The audience last night was very responsive and burst into a spontaneous standing ovation at the end. A well deserved one.

Afterwards we went for Japanese food, debriefed about the show and had some nice food and laughs in excellent company. A really fun night. The best news is the the show which was supposed to finish tomorrow night has just been extended by another 7 performances, and now finishes on the 27th of August. Woot! I've already made a date with Mikey (the lovely ex) to go see it. Maybe this time I'll be lucky enough to get the "car wash"...

[Here's an informative Wikipedia entry, but Warning - it contains spoilers!]

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for letting me know about the extended season! I couldn't make it up during the initial run, but now I might be able to make the trip!

The Other Andrew said...

Tyson, it's worth the effort. Faaabulous!

worldpeace and a speedboat said...

I saw iOTA support... ummmm... I think it was The Whitlams, at the Metro, at least 5 years ago now. they had a great t-shirt on sale which said 'I love pooftas!'. I didn't work out whether it was iOTA or Whitlams merchandise. either way, I wanted one, but they were low on stock and my size was nary to be seen... bum!

at any rate, he's a bloody great performer.