Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Connecting

I've been thinking a lot recently about how we connect with each other, and how as humans most of us need to feel that connection with others. The big connections, the people we love and the people we call family or friends. The little connections, the ones we make when we thank someone for shifting along to give us room to sit on the train. The important connections in between, the acquaintences, workmates, friends and people we chat with over the internet, that enrich our lives. The flipside of this I guess is the sad story I posted yesterday about the woman who sat dead and unmissed in her apartment for two years. Her life must have been lacking in important connections with others, for nobody to seek out what happened to her.

I remember the early days of the internet, back when it was The Internet, the Information Super Highway even, when doomsayers predicted that we would become a race of shut-ins living vicariously through chat rooms and machines, not truly connecting with others. My experience has been the opposite. Blogging and reading other people's blogs, as well as posting pictures and looking at other people's pictures, makes me feel connected to more people than ever before. Sure I couldn't ring any of these people up to cry on their shoulder at 3am, or ask for a loan of $50, but when I chat with people through blog comments or read their entries I feel that I am learning about them, connecting with them. It makes me think of the penfriends I had as a teenager, I cared about them and I felt they cared about me, even if we never met.

Not everyone wants, or is able, to take the next step and meet face-to-face but all the people I have met face-to-face through the internet (through blogging or Flickr) have for the most part been regular folks. The internet also allows people to portray themselves as someone else if they want, maybe who they would like to be, but I think this maybe happens less than the doomsayers predict. It's hard to maintain for a start, and I think most people can start to spot a fake after a while.

A pleasant bonus of connecting with people online has been the 'real life' friends I have made, the ones I can go out with, laugh with and have common ground with. I never expected to find a more serious connection through the internet, but it was the internet that initially brought Morgan and I into circumstances where we could meet, and that has turned out to be a very big connection indeed. Love.

11 comments:

freakgirl said...

I would totally loan you $50 if you really needed it. :)

The Other Andrew said...

And I would totally call you at 3am! :)

Bodhi said...

... have for the most part been regular folks.

Well my most parts thank you sweetie. As to the other bits, they are still debating weather this was a not so concealed back-handed slap across our proverbial face.

And lurve and all notwithstanding, we all know that without the Internet you would not have met moi, The Kid and the ever lovable and oh so adorable Rabbit. And we all know you would be so much the poorer for it, and you know I'm not just talkin' my share of the rent. Right?

Right?

Have I mentioned that my ex-wife met her hubby through the net? She did.

Hmmmmm ... maybe there is something to this. Potential males cuties 25-35 feel free to apply. Eamil me. Send photo's. Hell, send gifts. I am waiting to be impressed.

And Brad, sweetie, if you are reading this, ignore all that. You have priority, it's meant to be. You had me at www. The answer is already yes. I hope you don't think me presumptious - but I already have our rings picked out at Cartier ...

Anonymous said...

Oh Bodhi, you beat me to it "for the most part been regular folks" how scary lol.
I am waiting to be impressed. How cute. You make me think of Robbie Williams "Let me Entertain You". Lol again.

You had me at www. - now thats funny :)

Hmmm so what are you saying - are you needing $50 TOA?! And how many times will you be 'needing' this?

Bodhi said...

Hell is gone and heaven's here
There's nothing left for you to fear
Shake your arse come over here
Now scream
I'm a burning effigy
Of everything I used to be
You're my rock of empathy, my dear ...

Anonymous said...

:) That's it...

The Other Andrew said...

Bodhi, I reiterate "for the most part"... :) Anyway, would you rather be "regular" or special?

I don't actually need to borrow $50, or ring anyone to cry on their shoulder at 3am. Thankfully! :)

Michael Guy said...

Can I see a picture of the 'very big connection?' Har! I kid! What a ball-breaker mofo I am!

Andrew, seriously--I feel so blessed that you fell into Temporary Trouble Spots. I look forward to your posts and comments. I've 'met' PIPEDREAMS through you and we seem to have kismet as well. BTW: anyone seen a pic of MICHAEL? Anywhoooo...yes, I have made some great connections myself via a simple ranting blog site. Sure would love to come down for a visit!

dani said...

so i just wrote a post kind of taping into what you just mentioned but not as deep or eloquently said. but i agree life is all about the connections - or finding a connection to everyone and everything you meet - because in fact the connection is there, we just often fail to recognise it.
and i also just paid homage to you and morgan. talk about synchronicity.

next meet - we'll talk OK! i hate long tables.

Jen said...

Did I ever tell you that I met my housemate online? We've been living together for 11 years now, and are moving across the country together in 2 weeks. We consider one another family.

So eat that, doomsayers! heh.

Anonymous said...

3am phone calls I usually sleep through, so don't even try. But if you need 50 bucks, man just ask - k?