Sunday, October 23, 2005

Kiss Me Hardy


October 22nd, 2005.

Last night my friends John & Judy hosted a dinner to commemorate the 200th anniversary of the Battle of Trafalgar. It was a great evening, everyone had a lovely time and went to the effort to dress up and get into the spirit of the occasion.

(The flash on my camera is a little harsh, so none of pics turned out all that well. However, here is a little sampling to give you an idea of what the night was like even though the quality isn't great.)


The motley crew of the HMS Victory. 22nd October, 2005.

I learnt that 19th C food is for the most part very nice, and 19th C ideas of what passes for 'cocktails' are for the mostl part bad... and lethal. After dinner we played Trafalgar Trivia, which turned out to be very hard, but as extra points were given for creative and outlandish answers (my specialty) I at least won a couple of prizes. I now own one very cool pirate eyepatch.


A bunch of handsome sailors. 22nd October, 2005.


The 'Three Graces' (and One Munchkin). 22nd October, 2005.

That look on my face, yes that one in the pic above, that there is my special 'photo face'. It's the look of a man who hates having his photo taken. However, I know that I would get into all sorts of trouble if I left myself out of all the pictures, so there it is. *sigh*

As I said, it was a fun night, and I spent all afternoon helping Judy cook and prepare and then serve the dinner, so it was nice to see evryone enjoy themselves so much. Good times.

19 comments:

harry said...

Whizzo!

Will said...

Your costume's so fabulous! I can't believe you all made it from scratch! It says something when your dress is prettier than the wenches'.

The party was a great success, I take it?

Michael said...

You MADE that?! Dude! Really cool. You're all Master and Commander on our asses. Wait. Is that the right century? Dashing.

Regarding your 'photo expression', you do seem a bit concerned.

worldpeace and a speedboat said...

argh you all look lovely... your lapels are very impressible, must say. totally shameful that Laela let the girl's side down with the boy uniform ;) glad to see Beringar had a tricorn!

need. more. tricorns...

btw sweetie, really, just smile like the camera loves you and it *will* love you!

worldpeace and a speedboat said...

ergh... impressIVE... tired...

Cozalcoatl said...

Totally awesome. I think Leala looked fabbo as a lad, definatley the way i would have gone. Womens costumes from that time... errgh, do you really want to look pregnant all the time?!

so many buttons....drool

Bodhi said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
anti ob said...

Mighty!

Very flash coat Andrew; much though you may grimace and squirm, we're going to have to badger you for a full-length photo...

Bodhi said...

Hellooo sailor!. You indeed look quite dashing, sweetie darling sweetie. The costume is amazing, I stand in absolute and complete awe of your Jenome skills. Of course I also happen to think that you are insane, but your skill is undoubted.

You do realise, though, don't you, that I am doing my utmost best here to now refrain from making a camp seamen comment...

[Attempting to think un-gay thoughts, attempting to think un-gay thoughts, attempting to think un-gay thoughts]. Oh damn it all, who am I kidding? I'm so gay that I can't even think straight!

Hmmm. Quite the salty seamen, huh?

:-)

The Other Andrew said...

Thanks guys! I didn't get a full length pic of the coat on my camera unfortunately, the back is tails and looks really cool. Judy took a couple of full length pics on her camera, and I'll probably wear the same thing for Halloween, so I might (suffer to) get a better pic then. Thanks for the compliments. Some of the costumes people are wearing were hire ones from the ABC (tv station), and were really nice.

The look I'm pulling in the last picture is partly because I'm saying "No, you have to press the big button firmly..."

Sunshine said...

Love the costume!! :)

The Other Andrew said...

Thanks! You can't see it that well in the pic but the pants have that strange 'fall front' flap thing going on with buttons up each side. Quite comfortable, and (*cough*package enhancing*cough*) flattering.

Destructomeg said...

hooRAH! I was dying for someone to post piccies!

I want what Laela's wearing - I love her boy stuff! Who need a dress when you can have a jacket like that!

You all look damn spiffy. And more than a little squiffy!!

The Other Andrew said...

"You all look damn spiffy. And more than a little squiffy!!"

Sadly, the photos were pretty much all from the start of the evening, so no, we always look squiffy like that.

:-)

Mindy said...

I thought you had the stern male figure look down to a t. Portraits from that era always look stern. Beautiful outfit too. I envy your patience.

The Other Andrew said...

Ah Mindy, genius! Yes, that's what I was doing! It was acting, you see. That's it, stern.

worldpeace and a speedboat said...

fess up! who was wearing the hired costumes?? I'm betting Hrothgar and Laela only because they match so damn cutely, and probably have the least amount of time to make something at the moment...

The Other Andrew said...

Yup, guessed it in one. Berengar's was a rental too, also from the ABC.

Destructomeg said...

true, true, Tops and Berengar ALWAYS look like that!!!