Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Oh No...

There's no mistaking the fact that Autumn has finally arrived in Sydney. We don't really have dramatic seasonal changes but the weather has turned noticeably cooler and this week the forecast is for rain every day. We don't really get the whole 'turning of the leaves' thing in Oz so much, our trees just don't roll like that, and this year even the European trees we have here seem to have been somewhat fooled by the delayed start to Autumn. So Autumn is kind of more of a slow transition to Winter, without the visual reminder that says "Huh, will you look at that. Autumn's here."

I've slowly been adding to my arsenal of anti-Winter weaponry. Scarf, woolen socks, fingerless gloves, beanie. Apparently it's all about the extremities. In my descent into Nannerish dotage I find that my hands and feet are the first to feel the cold, and add to a general feeling of Winter miserableness. So this year the flurry of needles and yarn has meant I'm prepared.

I felt like a little project I could knock off in a few nights of knitting, using bits and bobs of yarn from my stash, so I decided to make myself a pair mittens. I'm really happy with them, and in the process I learned how to knit a thumb and how (with Kerry's help) to do Kitchener Stitch (aka grafting).



So, I decided to photograph them this morning and I was thinking to myself "You know, I should give this whole purple thing a rest. I've been making too many things in purple."

And then the sickening realisation dawned...



I've made a pair of Barney Hands.

12 comments:

mrpeenee said...

Nonsense, darling, they're beautiful and not in the least Barney-esque. I hope you stay nice and cozy in them.

yani said...

I think you only have to worry if you start knitting a pair of purple socks with yellow toes...

Or some sort of strange purple and green unitard...

IamKnitGuy said...

I don't know, Barney's got some big hands. You know what they say...

Anonymous said...

Those gloves are purple (you could call them deep lilac) whereas Barney is a magenta nightmare.

If it's any consolation we had snow here at the weekend! SNOW. In April! First time since 1989 apparently. I'm soooooo sick of endless cold weather. I know that the Purple One sang "Sometimes it snows in april" but the sentiment should remain in a song, not fall from the sky.

Ur-spo said...

you make that sounds like a bad thing....

The Other Andrew said...

Well, thank you all for being so positive! MWAH! I shall wear them with pride.

::crosses off plan for purple unitard::

worldpeace and a speedboat said...

was I born a nanna? my hands and feet always get cold. some nights I have to get up and stick my feet under hot water or the hair dryer, cos I can't sleep.

and although johnc is right about the shade of purple, I'd be careful. no knitting giant christian dinosaur heads, okay?

freakgirl said...

Ha ha! The mittens are adorable.

Autumn in Australia means Spring in the States. Woo!

The Other Andrew said...

I'll resist knitting dinosaur heads, I promise. Oh wait, Dorothy is ok? Isn't she?...

FG, I'm happy for you guys!

worldpeace and a speedboat said...

I think Dorothy is safe, as long as you're pretending to knit for one of the kids. otherwise I'd be wondering what weird dino-head-fetishes are out there and I'd have to google it and then it would all end in tears (of laughter probably).

Michael said...

You need to carry a red bag to really make the purple pop.

http://tinyurl.com/453tf8

Kyle William said...

HA! :) you're too funny