Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Detritus

The building I work in is around 98% women, and we few guys that are here share a common toilet that is located just outside my office. It has a sort of vestibule area, and even a long disused shower stall in there, and on account of our low numbers and poor bargaining power, the vestibule and shower stall have become the Junk Depository. (I nearly wrote Crap Depository, but then thought better of it.) Going to the mensroom usually involves dodging your way around broken wheelchairs, a couple of commode chairs, a carton of incontinence underwear, a walker, and other sundry bits of equipment suitable for aged care.

If you ever needed a reminder that one day you too will be old, frail and incontinent, then come visit me and go for a pee while you're here.

So today they had a big cleanout. Initially that meant that everything from the mensroom just migrated into the hallway, but now another service has come along and taken all the equipment that is useable, and the rest has gone down to the skip. For a short while there our corridor looked like a substandard nursing home. Our walls are Public Institution Green, so it was pretty convincing. All we needed is a smell of boiled cabbage and something even less savoury underneath, and it would have been a dead ringer.

Anyhoo, now I can pee and not worry about a future of prostate enlargement and moist underpants. Huzzah!

10 comments:

M-H said...

Thanks for the lunchtime snicker. And now the shower's been reclaimed for you to use when you return from your lunchtime run. :)

The Other Andrew said...

Ick, there is no way I would set foot in that shower. It's been empty and/or filled with junk too long. Plus the shower rose disappeared a long time ago I hear.

Thombeau said...

Guess you'll just have to continue using the Ladies' Shower.

The Other Andrew said...

I don't think they have one. I should sneak in and have a peak sometime!

Michael said...

I never worry about moist underpants because...no underpants! Simple.

OK, what's a shower rose?

freakgirl said...

I second Michael - what's a shower rose? Is it cunning?

The Other Andrew said...

It's the common term here for a shower nozzle. Shower head? What do you guys call it?

Further proof that we live in paradise, even our showers bloom with roses. I suppose you guys are going to tell me you don't dry yourselves with white swan down next!

The Other Andrew said...

Oh, and yes, most cunning!

Michael said...

Is it cunning?

Ha!

PS I dry myself with a live swan.

The Other Andrew said...

Mmmmm, downy soft.

(BTW, be careful. Swans can apparently break a man's arm with their beaks, so keep Manny & Esteban, and Rodger The Todger out of its reach.)