Monday, July 17, 2006

Small Kindnesses

Morgan and I went bushwalking at Wattamolla Lagoon in the National Park a few weekends back. Along one of the paths someone had found this bracelet and then carefully placed it over the guardrail for the owner to hopefully collect. My attention was drawn to it because we passed a little girl who was chattering about who owned the bracelet, maybe we did?, as we passed her.

Lost, And Not Yet Found

I love these little gestures of kindness that people pay to each other. To unknown strangers. The acknowledgement that someone would be upset to lose something so pretty, that it would be wrong to just take it, that it would be nice for them to find it and have it back. There's kindness, a degree of respect for an unknown stranger's feelings and hope that is sweet.

Sure it's only a small gesture, and you might think I'm blowing it out of proportion, but I sure hope she found her bracelet. Maybe it's still there.

6 comments:

worldpeace and a speedboat said...

lovely, TOA, just lovely :)

dani said...

beautiful image & sentiment.

Ur-spo said...

I will probably not acheive any major events of heroism or be of historical memory. I am comforted that my little acts of kindness can make remarkable influences. Probably 99% of my little kindnesses I don't give a second thought go on to do more than I realize. At least I hope so.
It is all I can do.

Anonymous said...

Oddly enough, the same thing happened to me.... but it involved a dog's choke chain.

Ghastly things. But still, I put it on the bleacher seats and hoped....

Nah. I didn't really hope. I should have chucked it. Dogs naturally want to please their master and choking them to death is not the way to do it.

I often give these mini-rants (but not so mini) when I see, say a golden retriever puppy gasping to come see me and the owner throttles him.

/end rant

Did I go off subject? Oops.

Michael Guy said...

OMG! Isn't that the lost Czarina bracelet worth priceless millions???

I'm just saying. YOUR random act of kindness outshines my urban cynicism...for sure. That bracelet wouldn't last one minute on a fence post here.

The Other Andrew said...

Thanks for the comments everyone. I thought it was a sweet gesture, and it's so easy to do these little gestures isn't it? So why don't we do more of them?... :)

Luscious, I don't like choke chains either. Hideous things.

MG - you crack me up, as always. I'm now seeing this as a Summertime anklet on you... fetching.