Friday, July 06, 2007

The Gifts Tell The Story

I completely forgot to tell you guys about my farewell last week at my old job. We went out for lunch, which given The Big Christian Charity's stance on The Demon Alcohol was nice but a very dry affair, and I managed to sit far enough away from my nemesis that we only had a few uncomfortable moments. (Given that we'd had a big fight the day before. And given that she mentioned twice in conversation that she had 'increased my blood pressure'. Probably true.)

It was nice though, and I was really touched that a bunch of the staff gave me farewell gifts. Some of our workers who act in a carer sort of capacity are not well paid, the injustice of which is a whole other topic, but yet still gave me small gifts to say goodbye.

Basically my gift haul can be broken down into two categories, and it's interesting to me what it says about how people percieve me. Arty and Foody. Because of my photography, drawing and other 'craft' stuff that I do quite a few of the staff gave me awesome gifts of sketchbooks, art materials, and a couple of photography books. And then because of my love of food, and cooking, I received quite a lot of chocolates and a thoroughly awesome tiered cupcake holder 'tree' thing. Sweet.

I was glad to be moving on, but it was touching to think that I was held in fairly high regard by 95% of the staff (nemesis excluded). And fun to think that I'm the 'arty' guy to most of them.

5 comments:

Therin of Andor said...

Andrew, I saw a "cupcake tree" stand in a shop the other day and thought of you. In fact, these days every time I see a decorated cupcake I think of you.

I'm thinking maybe for Midwinter Christmas this year, or perhaps for that weekend when Steven is here from Brissy, we should have a BYO decorated cupcake contest or something.

The Other Andrew said...

A contest? Yeah baby! I'm up for the challenge.(When btw?)

worldpeace and a speedboat said...

how lovely to have confirmed that you were thought well of... and that they liked you enough to find pressies they thought you'd really like. they won't know what hit them when Ms Nemesis is their only hope.

Therin of Andor said...

Sent you an email.

Thombeau said...

Awww, that was sweet!

Because YOU are!