Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Filthy Lucre

Money. Money. Money. It must be funny. It don't get everything it's true, but what it don't get I can't use.

Small unexpected windfall! I thought I was going to have to operate on 3 days pay this week, after taking 2 sick days last week with the gastro bug that I had. I was pretty sure that a) I didn't have enough leave accrued and b) that I had to have gone past my 3 month probation period to be eligible for sick leave. So I tightened my belt this week, and made sure I would have enough to get through next week with my rent and expenses paid.

So when I found out today that I was getting a full week's pay, it felt like someone had just opened up their wallet and handed me a bunch of bonus bucks! In reality it's only a regular pay, but score! Most importantly, it means I'll be picking up this tomorrow:



Squeal. Which means that I can sew up one of these that I have cut out and ready:



Then, I read in the paper that the government wants to hand me $950 next month to do my bit in keeping the wheels of the economy turning. Score. Oh sure The Opposition are being no fun and exercising their right to oppose, but should the money arrive in my bank account it's off to Ikea! There's a spare room in this house that is waiting to be fitted out as a sewing room/studio (and anything left over is going towards the cost of attending a men's knitting retreat in July). Squeal.

7 comments:

Tom said...

Good news on the sick pay!

I had no idea sewing machines had gone digital... what do all the buttons do?

Ur-spo said...

i was so excited when I had enough money to purchase a really good sewing machine. I can relate - and be glad for you!!

LaDivaCucina said...

Andrew, darling, you don't know HOW MUCH i miss RDO's and four week PAID holidays! sheesh, it's tough working in the US!

Darling, please send me an email so that I may stay in touch with you. I think I'm going to have a prepaid local cell phone to use and we are renting a car. I'll be staying in Neutral Bay and Frenchs Forest, perhaps a night in Marrick-a-ville, mate.

Looking forward to meeting you...can you meet for lunch? What part of town do you work? What do you do? Questions, questions!!!

lx

LaDivaCucina@gmail.com

Mindy said...

One of these guys is on my wishlist.
http://www.horn.com.au/sewing.html

M-H said...

Oh Andrew - we gave away a sewing cabinet just recently. Never mind, it went to another good home. Ikea has some great table/desk arrangements, but if you want a specific sewing cabinet, which will store your machine and all the bibs and bobs, I'd look at Horn as Mindy suggested. They are superb.

Anonymous said...

You are going to make a kilt? With all those pleats?? I have recurring nightmares about ironing things like that, let alone making them!

Anonymous said...

Cathy- gorgeous Andrew is talking about making two. So we can really get folks talking. Fortunately, both of us have the legs & calves to carry it off.