Friday, December 26, 2008

Let The Parade Of Desserts Commence!

OMG. I may never, ever eat again. I possibly said that last year, the year before, and so on, so clearly I cannot be trusted on this... but that's my plan. I'm not waiting until New Year, I'm making a Christmas Resolution.

So. Thoughts on Christmas Day...

I love my friends. A huge dinner table for 20, or so, barely seats us all and that includes the inevitable absences. Friends who've moved overseas, interstate, or just have other plans. The rag tag bunch of us now includes many ankle biters underfoot, which has added a further dimension to Christmas. Oliver and I made the lion puzzle, the zebra puzzle, the elephant puzzle and of course the giraffe puzzle, then back through the cycle a couple of times more. At no point were giraffe legs combined with a lion head, frankly between the two of us we put the intelligent into intelligent design.

Not to mention that once the thorny issue of the difference between the words assume and presume reared its head, we couldn't let the issue die without an answer. In a nutshell, they are functionally the same except some of the secondary meanings differ. Perhaps I'm being assumptuous, but I presume you're as interested as we were.

The food. Oh, the food. The glorious, glorious food. Meaghan pulled out all the stops, with Christmas favourites like a huge leg of ham, and some new dishes such as a string bean and pomegranate salad dish that was to die. To. Die. Are five desserts too many? I think it was five. Pudding... pavlova... chocolate cake (with raspberries and raspberry sorbet)... the ne plus ultra of panacotta with jellied mulled wine glaze.... I know that's only four I've listed, but trust me it felt like five.

I did fairly well in the giftage this year. Everything I gave seemed to go down a treat, including a rave review of the scarf. My sister was gobsmacked that I had made something so beautiful (her words), which is high praise indeed. I received a few fab gifts, primarily knitting related; a wonderful ball winder (dirty?), some great books, some scrummy yarn. I see a Boxing Day spent winding some balls. How about you?

So, a nice Christmas. Fairly chilled out during the day, with a lovely social evening. Capped off afterwards with a major food coma and supine staring at The International Dancesport Championships (known as ballroom dancing by civilians) on tv from the comfort of my own couch. Just when you thought it couldn't get any gayer. (Someone tell the Pope, put a fatwa on Dancesport and save the world.) Now it's late and I'm watching a German comedy on tv, which is an über camp take off of Star Trek, with what appears to be an all gay crew. Plus the extremely nummy Til Schweiger.

At least, I think I am. It may be the result of that 4th dessert...

Anyhoo, I hope you all had a lovely day!

4 comments:

Ur-spo said...

Happy Christmas to you.
I am glad to have you as a blogger buddy.

The Other Andrew said...

Thanks Ur-spo, that's so sweet! Merry Christmas to you to!

Charisse said...

merry christmas andrew! I'm glad you got some hot presents and ate heaps of good food. I think I have consumed my entire body weight in trifle.

worldpeace and a speedboat said...

I think there were only four desserts - but you know, that really was enough ;-) and that bean and pomegranate dish really was FAB wasn't it? I need the recipe for that and the crispy skinned porky goodness.