Saturday, May 28, 2005

Kindness

I was lounging in bed this morning when I heard a knock at the door. So I threw on some clothes and went to answer it, expecting it to be a friend of my flatmate's come to help him start to move house.

I was pleasantly surprised to find that it was a friend from the Buddhist centre, who is also a student of the course I am doing, standing there with her boyfriend, a take-away coffee for me and some get-better-soon chocolate. As it turns out because I had combined getting sick with missing some of the course and losing my mobile phone (thereby dropping out of contact) my friends at the centre were worried that things weren't ok. We chatted briefly, and I felt bad about not asking them in, but the house was 2+ weeks of non-housework messy and I was headed back to bed.

I've been smiling about the kindness of the gesture all day since. You know, this is the stuff that really matters, don't you think? Keeping someone in your thoughts, taking a bit of time to see if someone is ok, doing something to make someone's day a little brighter. So thanks Tash & Phil, for such a sweet gesture and for giving me a little reminder about thinking of others.

No comments: