Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Home For The Holidays

Not my home, but my sister's home that is.

So I booked my flights and I'm now headed to country Victoria for Christmas. $259 return, which is money I'd rather spend on gifts but isn't so bad. I'll get to catch up with both of my sisters, and my two nephews will get to see both gay uncles this year (my brother-in-law's brother is a big 'mo too). Fun!

You can get kind of meh about Christmas without kids around. And when I say you, I mean me, natch. I can get so caught up in the stress, hassle and financial holy shit, I spent how much? of Christmas that I can forget that it's also a shiny, happy time of year. Seeing the fun that kids get out of Christmas is an antidote to any grinchyness.

I'm also going to stay for two days (one night) in Melbourne on the way back to catch up with my dear friend Robbie. We've been friends for more than 20 years now, and even though we generally only catch up a couple of times a year, it's one of those wonderful friendships that never seems to change. Robbie's been putting some of dear grandmama's old money trust fund to use *cough*luckybitch*cough* on a long holiday in Africa, so we'll have lots to catch up about.

Now that that's planned and I'm finally starting my Christmas shopping later this week (don't judge!), it's finally beginning to feel a lot like Christmas.

7 comments:

Michael Guy said...

I concur. Children do seem to bring the shine back to a faded Christmas perspective. I guess if they knew just how much work it is they'd be cranky, too, though.

But good to be with family & friend, Andrew. Sounds like it's beginning to look a lot like Christmas for you.

:: cliche but works in this context ::

The Other Andrew said...

MG, I still alternate between that and moments of ach, Christmas!, but I'm working on being less grinchy. Every time I get another Christmas related task completed, then I get a bit more joy to the world!

Thombeau said...

It's funny, because whenever I say you, I always mean me. You know what I mean? Yes, I do.

Kids around for Christmas makes it more worthwhile, that's for sure. I know you'll have a good time!

I generally ignore all mainstream holidays, have for decades, but that doesn't make 'em go away. This year I'll be with the family for Xmas, but a few weeks after that I'll be almost 2000 miles away...

The Other Andrew said...

Exactly, Christmas may be fun but it's New Year that'll really have the whiff of new! exciting! for you right? Seems apt to me. The turning of the year. New starts.

Ur-spo said...

while you are out shopping don't forget i want a pony.

Michael said...

Last year I spent six hours with mi familia on Christmas eve, and then jetted out for the snow covered mountains on Christmas morning, not to return until after New Years. BEST. HOLIDAY. EVER. Alas, it's not to be this year. Unless....meet you in Melbourne?

The Other Andrew said...

Meet in Melbourne? Sure! You'll be the tall guy with the Koz'mos Fan Club t-shirt on, right?