Tuesday, September 01, 2009

5 Things About Tuesday, 1st Of September: Cube Farms & Meerkats Edition

  • I spent my second day gastarbeit-ing in what feels like the world's biggest cube farm. Imagine a giant, cavernous aircraft hanger sized space, plonk in a serious of free standing 'facility hubs' (2 toilets, 1 kitchenette, 2 meeting rooms, 1 vending machine), hang some peppy inspirational signage like "Innovation Happens Here!" (gag) and fill with thousands of workstations. Noisy and impersonal were 2 thoughts that sprung to mind, and every now and then I would see clusters of people standing around in the 'corridors' or perched in between workstations, and realised they were having team meetings. Ugh, whoever thought this was the workplace of the future?
  • Although the partitions were only low so there was no need to meerkat anybody, it was also maze-like. Kind of like being in Canberra, you can see where you need to get to... you just can't find the way to it.
  • Tragedy struck, I got on the train (for a fairly long pair of train rides) without a book to read. This error in judgement never happens! Thankfully I dug around in the bottom of my bag and lo, there was a half finished, somewhat vintage sudoko. Distraction crisis averted.
  • First day of Spring! Which also coincides with Birthday Week, a week I am curiously low key about this year. Meh.
  • Of course, I say that now. Just wait until I'm all me, me, me, me, me bitches on Friday.

8 comments:

Another Andrew said...

I go away for a week and come back to find you moonlighting as a battery hen. Happy birthday week, chickadee.

The Other Andrew said...

Thanks pumpkin!

Kerry said...

Sounds like you're working in Kafka-land...

Mikey (TLE) said...

So what's the plan for Friday night?

You may be amused to note that the word verification thingy is "comeling".

Ur-spo said...

I look forward to Friday - please make it all about you!

BTW - my word verification today is FAIRYS !

Victor said...

Happy Birthday for Friday.

The Other Andrew said...

Thanks everybody!

Andrew Kidd said...

Thanks for thhis blog post