Monday, July 13, 2009

Checking In, And Not Checking Out

Hey there! Computer still dead, but despite a possible, almost, no kidding it was that close brush with potential death (or at least wounding) myself, I'm still here. It has been a curious week.

Adding to my list of new experiences I was working on a file archiving project in a bank branch last Tuesday when it was held up by a guy with a sawn-off shotgun. For reals! I was working in a little office off the main banking area, so when I heard a scream, a loud crash and then all sorts of commotion, it took a little while for me to figure out what was going on. My first thought was that a car had mounted the footpath and struck the glass sliding doors at the front of the bank, but when I stuck my head out of the office and saw people cowering behind desks I decided to jump back into the office kind of sharpish. Beckoning a young couple who were standing confusedly just outside the office to come on in and join me out of the line of sight. There was commotion, confusion, a few more screams and it wasn't until the police showed up very soon after that I found out the bang was a sawn-off shotgun being fired.

Long story short, for want of anything else better to do I went back into the office and finished my work. Can you say strong work ethic? The rest of the day was a strange combination of finishing up my work, waiting around, being questioned by police, dodging the media outside the (now closed) bank and listening to the senior bank staff tell tales of other robberies. There is a particular sort of jollity, camaraderie and bravado that seems to come after a shared scary experience like this. I left after giving the particularly cute bear cub of a police officer my phone number (strictly for professional reasons, you understand) and just as the counsellor arrived to speak to all of the bank's staff.

The rest of the week was rather less dramatic and a lot more pleasant; dinner with a friend, more archiving work at some other thankfully unrobbed bank branches, some quiet nights in trying to figure out if/how/when I could claim Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (kidding!) and then a lovely weekend spent in the mountains with some knitting buddies visiting from New Zealand. The weekend was fun, gorgeous scenery, great companionship, heaps of knitting by the fire and even a sock finally cast-off! If my computer was working I'd post some pics, but until then imagine mountains, limestone caves, a bunch of us bundled against the cold and the smile of satisfaction that somes with a finished sock.

11 comments:

Neil said...

OMG! More than enough excitement.

The post-stress disorder scenario doesn't seem such a bad idea... ;)

John C said...

Er, wow.... And glad you're okay. Not so good about your computer. Wish I could help, I know a fair amount about Mac desktop machines since I've used them for years but never had a laptop.

Quatrefoil said...

I'm really, really glad you're ok. PTSS can come back and bit you a way down the track, so take it easy and use the counselling if you need to. Thinking of you.

Cecilia said...

!!!
Glad to hear you are OK!

mrpeenee said...

O dear heavens, the exciting, thrilling life you lead. Just imagine, completing a SOCK. I have to go lie down, just thinking about it.

Mindy said...

Good on you for having the presence of mind to get the young couple into the office with you. And what mrpeenee said.

Ur-spo said...

heavens to betsy - I too want to convey I am glad you are alright and it does not haunt you any.

Mikey (TLE) said...

How exciting. And maybe even a date too!

Oh, and very glad you survived teh experience

Victor said...

I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss the post traumatic distress aspect. You never know when/if after shock might set in.

jason said...

Jezus!

At least it's only the computer that's dead.
I'm glad you're safe. Sheesh!

Therin of Andor said...

Amazing post, Andrew!

Glad it worked out ok!