Tuesday, June 15, 2004

Weekend, Thy Name Art... "Meh"

There are few things more frustrating than a three day weekend that turns into three days of missed connections, unreturned phone messages and friends out of town. Much of the weekend I was primed to party, but just couldn't get it off the ground. I found myself becoming very introspective, and fluctuating between feelings of loneliness and frustration at times.

Having said that, it wasn't a total loss. I saw the film "Supersize Me", recoiled in horror and amazement, and then resolved to eat something containing cracked wheat and bran immediately afterwards. I also had a lovely lunch of Japanese food yesterday, sitting with a great friend out in the sun of the little blast of Indian Summer that we had yesterday here in Sydney. This friend and I have known each other for more than 25 years now, since we started High School together, and have a wonderful and comfortable relationship based on a mutual delight in each other's company. I treasure all my friendships, but this one is very special.

I also spent more time than usual trawling through the books shops of Newtown, such as Cornstalk Books and my dearly loved Better Read Than Dead. I was in the mood for some new fiction, but instead was drawn to "Awakening The Buddha Within" by Lama Surya Das. I've been feeling disconnected from my Buddhist practice, in fact I haven't been meditating at all for ages. My introspective mood this weekend seemed to keep leading me back to thoughts about my meditation practice, compassion and the teachings of the Dharma.

Maybe not filling my weekend with activity was a good thing after all.

No comments: