Tuesday, December 28, 2004

'Twas The Season To Be Jolly

Christmas holiday season highlights, in no particular order:
  • Christmas Eve sitting on the patio of a friend's house, with good food and company, puppies to pat, great cheeses and a pleasantly cool evening.
  • Christmas day lunch of porcini mushroom and truffle risotto. Not standard Christmas fare I agree, but I was touched that my hosts went to such an effort to create a delicious vegetarian option.
  • Watching my hosts' hot, hot, HOT 26 year old son making said risotto.
  • Channeling my inner Martha by taking charge of the table decorations and creating an impromptu Christmas tree with branches from the garden.
  • Hearing the elderly mother of one of my hosts say that it was the best Christmas she had ever had.
  • Boxing Day (December 26th) breakfast with my oldest and dearest friend and his girlfriend, a week before they are due to be married and head away to Korea for a few years.
  • Boxing Day afternoon and evening at another friend's house, with laughs, presents and a 'power nap' on her Chesterfield sofa.
  • Holding the 7 week old daughter of two of my friends, and watching her gurgle, burble and grin every time I smiled at her.

    So, this year was a social whirligig that started on Christmas eve and has only just slowed. Exhausting? Check. Fun? Check. Probably ate waaay to much? Double check, but who cares?

    I hope you all had a great time.
  • No comments: