Saturday, June 27, 2009

Winter Wonderland

I woke up feeling marginally better today, like my cold was on the retreat. I had a lazy start to the morning, lying in bed with a good homemade coffee and crying my way (manfully) through the last couple of chapters of Jenny Kee's autobiography A Big Life. (Wow, what a life! It's a cracking read.)

By early afternoon I was climbing the wall with cabin fever, so I packed a pocketful of tissues, grabbed my camera and umbrella, and decided to go for a nice long walk. I ended up walking for over 2 hours, mostly around the suburb of Petersham, with one short detour for a quiet afternoon schooner of beer at The Clarence when the rain started pelting down. After 3 days of lolling in bed or on the sofa it was nice to get out and get some fresh air, and finding little treats like a footpath paved in golden ginko leaves and suburban fence topped with gnome sentinels buoyed the spirit as well. A nice afternoon and just what the doctor ordered.

Golden Ginkos
Golden ginko leaves underfoot.

Ginkos
A leaden winter sky with ginko leaves in silhouette, just shortly before the rain started pelting down.

Camelia

A gorgeous pink and white camelia, a lovely punch of colour on a greay day.

Peeping Through
Pink azaleas peeping through a weathered fence.

Winter Sky, With Gnomes
I was entranced by this fence with it's gnome sentinels.


[Click any of the pics to enbiggen them on Flickr.]

5 comments:

Cecilia said...

Beautiful pictures as always!
Glad to hear you are starting to feel better.

The Other Andrew said...

Thanks Cecilia! I also managed to do a temporary fix that means I can view and comment on my blog again! Yay. (I had to uninstall Flash to do it. Annoying.)

worldpeace and a speedboat said...

ooho Gingko! happy memories. we planted a Gingko when I was about 12 or 13. not a common plant, and grows soooo slooooowwww like the ancient wonder that it is. I heard third-hand that the new owners chopped it down... how ignorant and sad, I haven't been back to find out for sure.

jason said...

beautiful photos!

The Other Andrew said...

Thanks everyone!