Sunday, June 06, 2010

Bake Sale

I had a lovely afternoon this afternoon. I hied off to the Bake Off fundraiser for the AIDS charity The Bobby Goldsmith Foundation with my friend Judy, her son David and David's friend Kai. The BGF Bake Off is a long standing tradition, a bake sale on steroids (so to speak), where intricate cake creations compete for prizes and are then auctioned off for extraordinarily generous donations.

BGF Bake Off
Festive decor in the Paddington Town Hall.

BGF Bake Off
A cake creation.

BGF Bake Off
Anyone for a sticky date?

BGF Bake Off
One of my favourite drag queens, the clearly insane Joyce Maynge.

BGF Bake Off
Quiet please, there's a lady on stage.

BGF Bake Off
GaGa phones it in.

BGF Bake Off
Another of the cake creations, Christiano!


I hadn't been to the Bake Off for a few years and it was a hoot, even though it lacks some of the crazy wildness of the early days. (For example, years and years ago I remember a certain German Mr Leather in backless chaps applying liberal amounts of canned whipped cream to his anatomy, and selling licks for charity. A bad time to be lactose intolerant.)

It was a nice mild afternoon but by the time we left the venue it was sigh dark, cold raining again. After negotiating our way through the crowds leaving the nearby football grounds, I stopped by at my regular Sunday afternoon watering hole to see if any of my friends decided to go for a drink. Not surprisingly it was quiet as few souls braved the rain and cold to go out for a beer, so I caught a cab home for a nice quiet night in by the heater.

1 comment:

jason said...

this looks like great fun.