Wednesday, May 26, 2004

Some of my best friends are...

It's funny how your life can take turns that you never expected. I found a few curious parallels with this article (even I don't agree with all her arguments, and I certainly think that her 'Queer Eye' influenced generalisations about gay men are quite silly).

Years ago I was a gay man with a large coterie of gay friends and a few close straight friends. In the space of only about 5 or 6 years that situation has almost reversed itself. Partly because I met a new group of straight friends who were all close to my ex-partner, and partly because quite a few of my gay friends have moved away, drifted away or sadly passed away. I wasn't always a good friend, sometimes I let people drift out of my life by not nurturing those friendships as well as I should have.

So here I am single at the tail end of my thirties finding myself spending as much, if not more, time talking about the impending babies of my friends as I do spending time dishing with my gay friends. It isn't bad, I love all my friends, but I have to say that it isn't giving me as many opportunities to meet guys.

A little while ago I resolved to try and get some of that balance back by being more proactive about seeing my old gay friends. So far so good.

No comments: