Monday, January 19, 2009

House Guests

Squee! I'm excited. My good friend Stephen is in town from Brisbane and will be crashing at my place mid-week, and then the night after my old housemate and good friend Lynda (who I caught up with recently via The Facebook) and her daughter will be crashing here. A bit of extra cleaning has been done, although I stopped short of Martha Stewart style guest room shenanigans (small French toiletries, a sightseeing itinerary and a thoughtfull collection of night reading literature). I don't think you can call a sofa bed a 'guest room' anyway, just for starters.

Oh, unless Lynda has changed her stripes, I need to stock up on Gin... and tonic.

It has been so many years since Lynda and I have seen each other, yet chatting to her on the phone she sounded just the same. Stephen and I see each other a few times a year, which is never enough. I can't wait to see both of them. It's friendships that are important in this life, right? Connections. People we love, and that love us. It's easy to forget that sometimes, and there is a certain lovely symmetry to spending the week with two good friends. One who is so very good at making sure he stays connected with his friends, and one who was a lost friend for a number of years... but is now found again.

3 comments:

freakgirl said...

We just had friends visiting from Canada, and it was lovely. I spruced up the guest room/office in Freakgirl style, with a pile of sample soaps, pop culture rag magazines and penguin flannel sheets.

The worst part is the emptiness after your friends leave, though.

mrpeenee said...

I have my whole mrpenee, Girl Reporter, thang ready to go, but I don't have your email address to send you the questions. email me at mrpeenee@yahoo and I'll fire them off to you.

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed "guesting" at Andrew's. That morning kiss was mighty pleasant indeed.