Tuesday, November 25, 2008

source:life

Life magazine is progressively putting their photo archives online, in a joint project with Google. So now if you put the text source:life on the end of any photo search, it will search the millions of photos in the Life archives for matches.

Let's give it a whirl. What if I put in a few of my favourite things?...

swim 1930s source:life


The Yale Universtity swimming team, weight training for strength.
Photo by Alfred Eisenstaedt, 1937.

sailor 1940s source:life


US sailor. Photo by Carl Mydans, 1940.

homosexuality 1970s source:life


"Campaign poster for admitted homosexual, Jack Baker, running for President of
University of Minnesota Student Association." Photo by Grey Villet, 1971.


Not bad results! The photos/pictures go right back to the 1750s! I have some serious browsing to do. Please send food and beverages if I don't resurface in a day or so.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

And a sort of Flandrin-esque pose there, I may have to bundle that with the other photo you sent me recently!

I haven't dared look into the Life pics yet although it's great to have another substantial online picture resource to hand.

Mel said...

So did you come across this one yet?

http://tinyurl.com/688a6l

The Other Andrew said...

John, the Flandrin-esque quality eluded me until you mentioned it. I was too distracted by the pumps I think!

Mel, I LOVE YOUR WORK. Nice!