Friday, March 28, 2008

I Love My 'Hood

Fly your freak flag, bitches!



I personally have never felt the urge to "fly the flag" in a literal sense, but it does make me smile when I see people expressing themselves like this. Lots of cars in my neighbourhood have rainbow stickers on their windows or bumpers. Quite a few of the stores have rainbow stickers in the windows (although I think that really means Pink Dollar Welcome Here for many, rather than any particular sign of allegiance).

I know there is rhetoric on both sides about acts of proclamation like this, but there is a sentimental side of me that likes to see the old rainbow flag flying. When I was a teenager I would have given my right arm to have known that there were other gay people in my neighbourhood. I think there is an argument for visibility, plus flagwise I love a bit of colour and movement!

5 comments:

Thombeau said...

Visibility is important!

I'm happy to see a lot of similar sights in Portland. And it's so relaxed here that everyone's just like, "Cool".

The Other Andrew said...

Cool.

I think Portland agrees with you my friend.

Michael said...

That's why I don't want to leave Vancouver (1.5 more days). Diversity, muthafuckas.

Ur-spo said...

it is a cheery colourful flag, and good to see people 'open' so.

Anonymous said...

Despite our substantial gay population you don't see many flags here. Outside the Gay Village (TM) there's only a hotel out of town that flies one. I don't think many people in the UK actually equate the rainbow flag with gay things or people, it's always seemed more of an American thing. Brits usually don't like flags of any stripe although the wretched Flag of St George is now a permanent football icon.