Thursday, November 24, 2005

Misty Water Coloured Meme-ery

Time to rip off someone else's meme kids! Won't that be fun?! This time I'm copying the Lemming Whom We Love with his ABC's Of Me post. [He sourced the idea from Sheri.]

My version of The ABCs Of Me:
  • A is for Alcohol and Abstinence. (See how much fun this is already?) I gave up drinking around this time last year, partly for medical reasons but mostly because I took a vow against intoxicants in a Buddhist ceremony.
  • B is for Beliefs. Mine are Buddhist, and I like listening to other people's beliefs... unless they involve space aliens and volcanoes, then not so much.
  • C is for Childhood. Mine was more happy than not, even though I never really built all that close a relationship with my father (he was quite distant) and in my teenage years I had some brief moments of angst about being gay.
  • D is for Dick. I'm quite a fan really, and not just of my own.
  • E is for Expressions. I have a tendency to invent or copy certain expressions, and use them tirelessly until they outstay their welcome. Current favourite "It's bollocks, innit?" [Said with thick English accent].
  • F is for Friendships. They are important to me, and I like them to last.
  • G is for The Gay Thing. It's not all that I am, but it's a huge part of my psyche and not really possible for me to hide or down play, even if I wanted to.
  • H is for Humour. Thankfully I have a sense of one. It's so versatile, it can be defence, weapon, aphrodisiac, turn off... If you are funny we are halfway to being friends already.
  • I is for Intelligence, and also for Imagination. I'm not the biggest brainiac in the world by any stretch, but I can hold my own when it comes to conceptual and creative thinking. I find intelligence and imagination very sexy.
  • J is for Jerk. I have been one of these at various times in my life, mostly on account of feeling insecure in relationships when I was younger. I think we've all been down that road at some point.
  • K is for... is for... um, Klimt? One of my favourite artists. (Ok, you think of something that starts with 'K', smartypants.)
  • L is for Lethargy. I sometimes suffer from this due to a history of problematic sleep 'issues'.
  • M is for Michael, a name which crops up in my life all the time. 5 ex-boyfriends and 6 friends called Michael, I mean, surely that's statistically higher than average?
  • N is for Nelly. When I was younger I used to be quite judgemental of effeminate guys. As I've grown older I've come to the realisation that it actually takes courage to be a sissy, and that it's just another form of self expression. Plus, I don't feel the need to prop up my self esteem or to make myself feel superior by putting others down.
  • O is for Observation. I love to sit back and observe what's going on, especially to sit in a public place and 'people watch'. On the downside there have been days in my life when I have felt so detached that it's like I'm an observer, rather than a participant. Thankfully that doesn't really happen any more.
  • P is for Perfectionist. This is a streak I have that especially comes out when I am making something. This should probably be for Patience as well. I have been known to spend huge amounts of time working on some sort of art or craft piece, the more meticulous and painstaking the better, until I think it's 'perfect'.
  • Q is for Questioning. I would say that this is a fundamental part of my personality.
  • R is for Relationships. I had a number of them, and I'd say probably 4 significant ones in my life, but it's been somewhere around 2-3 years since my last one. It would be nice if another came along, but I'm not so concerned about needing to be in a relationship anymore. If it happens, it happens, and that would be nice.
  • S is for Sex. Personally, I enjoy it very much. I'm now on the search for quality, rather than quantity.
  • T is for Tibet. Somewhere I have always felt a strong interest in, perhaps ever since seeing 'Lost Horizon' as a child. I feel very strongly about the human rights abuses and cultural dismantling of Tibet at the hands of the Chinese invaders.
  • U is for Understanding. This sounds like I am blowing my own horn here, but I like to think that I am a very understanding person. Even if I disagree with you, I have enough intelligence and empathy to understand your point of view.
  • V is for Voracious. [see also 'S'] If I'm in the mood, look out.
  • W is for Wanker. At times I have been so keen to be thought funny/attractive/whatever that I have made myself appear to be a complete one of these.
  • X is for... is for... Xtreme. I really dislike 'Xtreme' used as an adjective for anything which is so obviously not 'extreme' (regardless of the spelling). Like when 'Xtreme Animals!' turns out to be a documentary about termite mounds.
  • Y is for You. It's you that makes it all worthwhile. It always has been.
  • Z is for Lama Zopa Rinpoche, spiritual leader of the Buddhist tradition I follow (The FPMT: The Foundation for the Preservation of the Mahayana Tradition).

6 comments:

worldpeace and a speedboat said...

lovely post TOA!

:)

Bodhi said...

I heartily agree, W&S.

But whats amazing me more is that I am actually letting Andrew have his say, whilst refraining from doing said Meme myself. And believe me when I say that I am usually the Meme whore of Babylon (and when I say Babylon, I don't mean that in the Biblical sense ... but something more akin to the gay club Babylon in the series Queer as Folk. But anyways, I digress ...)

This is most unusual behaviour and restraint from moi. I feel like such a ... umm ... reformed whore. Like Mary Magdalene! Oh My Brad! Hmmmm, the later probably explains while I suddenly feel a need to sing I Don't know how to love him from Jesus Christ Superstar ...

And yet ... again, I refrain.

Thats just weird, huh? I think it may just be the shock of the Backdoor Boys announcing their upcoming January 2006 Sydney tour.

Sunshine said...

What religion involves VOLCANOES?? LOL. :D

Michael said...

This was really good. I like the posts where I get to see your innards. You know, feel you from the inside. And yay! I'm in your alphabet. I am, right? Even with my real name, I coulda been on instead of that Klimt dude.

This is almost as good as your 100 Things, but that's a lofty height few can dare to reach.

The Other Andrew said...

"And yay! I'm in your alphabet. I am, right? Even with my real name, I coulda been on instead of that Klimt dude."

Yes, you and Bodes (real name Michael) both make it in! Dude, 'K'? Is that a hint that your real name 'aint Michael?

"This is almost as good as your 100 Things, but that's a lofty height few can dare to reach."

Awww, thanks pumpkin.

The Other Andrew said...

Sunshine, I would explain the volcanoes thing to you but the Xenubots would probably not like that. I think you probably have to be an Operating Thetan VII or somesuch first, ask Tom Cruise.